Chapter 13

Sybrina was unsure on the dress code for dinner tonight, so she’d decided to err on the side of caution and dressed formally in one of the dazzling new evening gowns her husband had bought for her.  She should have realized it would be just the two of them for dinner, but it surprised her nonetheless, that the formal dining room had been decorated and all the splendour had been set out just for two.  Her husband was formally but handsomely attired, in white trousers, white shirt navy coat and neck tie.

She had not tasted the first course of soup that had been placed in front of her by the footman.  She was overwhelmed by the surroundings. 

If she strained her ear, she could faintly hear the waves of the ocean gently lapping against the shore.  She was more overwhelmed, by the presence of the man who sat at the head of the table, who consumed her thoughts and emotions.  Sybrina had wanted to sit as far away from him as possible, at the foot of the table, as should have been the case had they been entertaining guests.  They were not entertaining guests, tonight, and her husband had cleverly drawn the chair to his right for her, robbing her of her preferred choice.  He filled the room with his presence, dominated her space actually with his effortless elegance.  She chose this moment now to glance up and their gazes met, fizzled with unspoken desire.  She fought to tear her eyes away.

‘Is dinner not to your liking my lady?  You barely touched your turtle soup.’

Sybrina stared down at her plate.  Fresh salmon on a bed of crisp watercress, curd cheese, baby potatoes.  It was a gourmet meal, under normal circumstances, she could have delightfully done justice to it.  But nothing was normal tonight.  She was hungry but not for nourishment, and she was still trying to understand that. 
How could she tell her husband she’d caught sight of him upstairs with his door ajar.  He had been naked, save for the towel around his lean hips.  Sybrina had never seen a  naked man before, but she’d been mesmerized at seeing Alexander’s almost naked body.  The broad shoulders, sturdy arms, muscular chest with the fine brush of hair decorating it, had caught her breath.  She had almost been caught peeking, but had quickly stepped back when Alexander had looked up.  She’d finished dressing and hurried downstairs to wait for him in the drawing room.

‘It is delicious my lord,’ she lifted the glass of wine to her lips, ‘I guess I’m tired from our long journey,’ she spoke untruthfully.  The journey had been long, but she was too keyed up and would only toss and turn if she had to go to bed.  Right now he was seated too close to her, dangerously too close.

‘Ah, I thought you weren’t pleased with the salmon, and that I may have to go out and shoot a buck or something,’ he teased.

There’s no need for that,’ she made an effort and forked some of the salmon and water cress into her mouth.  Sybrina chewed slowly, conscious of Alexander’s eyes trained on her.  He looked to the footmen standing discreetly  to his left, and immediately one of them came to refill her glass.  She had not even realized, her glass was empty.

‘Thank you,’ she smiled at the footman, and stole another quick look at Alexander who was heartily polishing his main course.

Alexander kept his eyes trained on his plate with difficulty.  All he wanted to do was stride  to Sybrina’s chair, haul her up into his arms and carry her to his bed.  She looked distractingly breathtaking in her ivory lace gown, a dusty pink trim, clinging to her delicious curves.  The slender column of her milk white neck was visible.  The sleeveless gown, exposed her graceful arms, and hinted at her delicious bosom.  How was a man expected to restrain himself when the temptress paraded her delights in that manner?  Surprisingly they managed to complete dinner and Alexander suggested they have coffee in the drawing room again.  He drew the curtains aside, so they could glance at the ocean. There were two ships in the distance one was coming closer to shore.  The other was travelling away from Bath.