Chapter 1 - The Beginning

Chapter One

~ Halcyon's P.O.V. ~

"You were awesome on the waves today, Hal."

I whipped around to see my friend Alana's silhouette striding towards me through the thinning crowd on the beach, and I shook my head, smiling. The sunset was fading away behind the crashing waves, and the sand underneath my bare feet wasn't as hot as it was this afternoon.

"No way. I took a fall right in the second heat, that's why I got a seven. You did a ton better."

Alana shrugged, her long, light brown hair falling in waves over her shoulder. "7.5. Not that much better."

"Okay, maybe we both bombed. the competition today," I agreed, shoving my surfboard stubbornly into the trunk of my rusty, red old pickup truck, and attempting to latch the back shut. It creaked open. Alana snorted with laughter.

"Maybe you should look into getting a new ride."

"Maybe you should look into shutting your mouth." I grinned . "Me and Flo are very happy together, and we have been since sophomore year."

"Flo. You named your car. You named your car?"

"No judgment," I ordered her, sliding on a pair of sunglasses and hopping in the front seat.

Alana smirked. "I don't even see how you can drive that thing. Your feet barely reach the pedals."

"I'm fun-sized. Now shut up." She always teased me about that, it was her thing.

"And you really should do something with your hair, I mean the blonde color is pretty, but it looks like you hacked it with scissors - "

"That's because I did," I said, peering at her from over my tinted Ray-Bans. "Are we done here?"

"Nope. One last thing," she said, tilting her head to the side and squinting her eyes at me. "Why are you wearing sunglasses at night?"

"Swag."

"You're so awkward, Hal."

"G'night, buh-bye," I told her, waggling my fingers and flashing a smile from over my shoulder. She just shook her head at me, grinning, and took off running back to the waves.

I drove through the seemingly endless neighborhoods of expensive beach houses, through the little downtown shops, and then I hit the middle of nowhere. I could see the stars now, and they seemed brighter without all the city lights to compete with them. It was actually beautiful and silent and all that, until my engine started to make a funny growling sound, and the truck started slowing down. I punched the gas pedal with my foot, but it didn't help.

The car pulled to a stop in the middle of the road.

"Shit," I muttered. "Shit. Fuck. Crap. Oh my Gosh, no, no, no - "

I dug around in the darkness for my keys, and then hopped out of the car, walking to the side of the road. Someone had to drive by, right? And they couldn't get past my truck. They would have to help. It had gotten oddly chilly out, and I shivered, crossing my arms and stomping around in a circle to try to get warm. I needed to get home and pack, because in the morning I was supposed to fly back to Miami. I had just come to Cali for this surfing competition. Oh, God, what if I missed my flight? I groaned, throwing my head back in exasperation.

Then I saw headlights coming from over the hilly countryside, and I did a happy dance, spinning around in a circle. That hadn't taken very long at all.

The lights slowed, flaring in my face, and the car stopped a few yards in front of me. Out of the car stepped two guys; one, standing straight, and wearing a blue plaid shirt, and the other, looking dizzy and having to lean on the car for support, wearing a red t-shirt.