Chapter 5 - London & Left Alone

~ Halcyon's P.O.V. ~

Jack's face fell, and he narrowed his eyes.

"He found our car. Do we wait here until he leaves, or just run?" I asked him. His green eyes searched my face. Gosh, I loved the color of them.

"Jack has his own set of car keys. he's gonna take the car back. You ok with more running?"

I sighed.

"I'll take that as a yeah, now come on."

There was a hotel, Jack explained to me, as we ran across a Wal-Mart parking lot. It was a mile or so away. If we could just make it there, spend the night, he would book a flight to London, then rent a car and drive to the airport. Meanwhile, I would lock all the doors in the hotel room and wait patiently for Jack to get back. It could take up to two days.

"We're here," said Jack, after what seemed like years of running. My sides ached and my mocha was all gone, leaving me thirsty. I could see the exterior of a tall white building, lots of windows, all with balconies - our hotel.

"It's really nice," I said, surprised. We slowed to a stop outside the entrance to catch our breath.

"Yeah," said Jack, trying to fix his hair. I reached up to ruffle it again, giggling.

Inside the hotel, it was absolutely beautiful. I could see all the way up to the tenth floor, and glass elevators slid along the walls. In the center, there was a dining pavilion, surrounded by a garden. Jets of water danced in the fountains.

"One room please," Jack said, handing the desk clerk his credit card. I bit my lip to hold back a smile - the clerk was looking at us curiously. Two sweaty teenagers with baggy clothes and no luggage, checking into a room? To my surprise, he asked no questions.

I was so tired. It was fun, though, to go up in the elevator with no floor underneath - just glass. I watched the lobby get smaller and smaller, my hands pressed up against the cool glass. Jack stood by my side, an arm around my waist, and I let my hands drop to wrap around him, my cheek pressed against his chest. I could have stayed like that forever, safe in his arms, breathing in the smell of green apples (his body spray? cologne?), mixed with a hint of coffee and sweat. It was like heaven.

But the moment ended far too soon. The elevator doors opened with a ding at the ninth floor, and we made our way to our room. It was pretty, of course, with two beds, a desk, and large, airy windows, but I was far too tired to notice anything else. I flopped down on the first bed, kicking off my - Finn's - shoes.

Finn. I shivered just thinking his name, and how he could hurt me.

Jack flicked on the TV, and I could hear a re-run of Friends playing at low volume.

After a few minutes, I was in deep sleep.

~ Jack's P.O.V. ~

Hal was practically dead to the world. I yawned, stretching back in my desk chair and waiting for my airline tickets to validate. The sky outside was fading from pink to orange. This time tomorrow, I would be in London.

I was honestly terrified to leave Hal here alone, but a round trip to London already took enough out of my bank account. I could barely afford this for one person, but two? No. Besides, this was a hotel - lots of people would hear if Finn tried to take Halcyon by force. There were two locks on the door, and locks on the balcony doors. She was as safe here as I could get her.

Ding. The transaction validated, and I let out a sigh of relief. London, here I come.

I hopped out of the chair and into the shower, thanking God that they had mini everything here, from shampoo to toothbrushes. When me and Hal escaped, packing for a long trip had been the last thing on my mind. Maybe I could go to the gift shop downstairs and get what we needed - clothes, food, a suitcase.