Chapter 4 - The Escape

~ Jack's P.O.V. ~

The house was entirely silent, and it was freaking me out. Where had Hal and Finn gone? Why was it so quiet? What had he done to her?

I slowly raised myself up from the bathroom floor, bandages dropping from my hand and unrolling over the wet tiles. Water dripped from the shower head in the corner of the bathroom, but besides that, nothing. I could hear nothing. My heart was racing.

Finn must have taken her to his bedroom, I thought apprehensively. Do I...help her?

I'm gonna admit that I'm scared of Finn right now. He's steadily getting more and more violent, with odd swings of pure happiness. I wouldn't be surprised if he had knocked out Hal again and was waiting somewhere - behind a door, maybe - to attack me. Grinning in anticipation. I shivered.

But Hal needed me. I was the one who had offered her a place to stay when her car broke down. This was all my fault, and I needed to help her escape.

I looked around the bathroom for anything that could be used as a weapon...a toothbrush? Nah. What about...

A razor. An electric one, to be exact, five blades and could be pretty dangerous up close.

I picked it up, and cautiously opened the bathroom door, creeping down the hallway. Finny's room was just upstairs. If I could get there in time...

Something stopped me in my tracks. Crying. Someone was crying. It sounded like...Finn. Close by, possibly in the game room.

The game room had a door that locked from the outside.

My blood pounding in my ears, I walked a couple more feet as silently as I could, and then approached the door. Yes, that was Finn crying in there. Sobbing, more like. He was going to hear the click...but I gritted my teeth and twisted the lock anyways. The crying stopped. And I started running.

I knew the lock wasn't going to stop him forever, but it might buy me enough time to get Hal out and on a bus home. My feet carried me up the stairs like I was in a dream, and then I burst into Finn's room, razor still in my hands.

"Hal!" I shouted, my eyes searching around the room wildly. "Hal, it's Jack, Finn's locked in a room, and we need to get you out!"

"J-Jack!" I twisted in the direction of her voice, throwing the razor down. The closet. Rushing in, I found her crumpled on the floor, her eyes red. I knelt down, and pulled her into my arms again. She just burrowed her head in my chest.

"I don't know what happened or what he would have done, he just tried to rip my towel and then he - he left - " Hal squeaked, her hand fluttering up to cover her mouth. She was so scared, and it killed me. I just wanted to find Finn and beat the living hell out of him.

"Shh, he's locked up in a room for at least ten minutes, it'll be ok. We have to get you out of here quick," I said, locking eyes with her. She nodded briskly, seeming a bit braver.

"I need clothes," she whispered, and I stood up to rummage around the closet while Hal sat there huddled on the floor. It took a minute, but I found a stash of Finn's middle school clothes that he was going to donate. They were a bit smaller than what he wore now. Good. I picked out a pair of faded jeans, a white v-neck, and a plaid shirt for Hal to wear.

"What size shoe?" I asked her quickly.

"7."

"Good, put these on." I tossed her some high tops. "They're an 8. Get changed, I'll wait in the bedroom."

She let out a shaky breath, and nodded.

I waited outside, checking my phone for the time. 10:31.