15

I had the building closed off and locked down as I waited for Howard and Peggy to get here. I wasted time by going through the "books" in the office, finding SSR files. I found old information of myself leading all the way back to when I was in the Army. Some of these files had information on other organizations that we didn't have, they proved to be useful. I had to wait about five hours before they arrived.

I let them in through a back way, I silently led them up to the office. Neither one of them said anything. What was there to say anyway? I opened the office door and let them process the information coming at them before saying anything. They looked over the files and intel that was in front of them.

"So who was the rat in the SSR?" Howard quietly asked. He was lethargically flipping through the pages of a book.

"Mr. Colins, and a few others."

"Where is Colins?" Peggy questioned looking back at me.

"I killed him." I said, my voice had a shake in it. I had some confidence in my decision but I was scared of what Howard and Peggy thought of me.

"You what?!" Peggy whispered, her eyes went wide and her mouth fell slack. She stood there staring at me as if I had bombed all of Los Angeles.

"He very clearly did it." I argued crossing my arms looking at her, she didn't meet my eyes. Peggy shifted her body weight and looked at Howard hoping he'll say something.

"He was very clearly guilty, and to be honest I'm glad you killed him because I would have myself if I saw him. But now we need to figure out how to move on from this." Howard said throwing a book down on the desk. The sound of the hardbound leather hitting the wooden desk echoed throughout the building.

"I haven't called anyone else about this yet."

"Someone needs to know."

"We know, we have enough power here to dissemble the SSR." I told them boldly. It was a power move if there ever was one, and I felt the need to bring up the opportunity. Howard and Peggy look at me questioningly. The SSR was already government approved, it was a pretty stable organization, and most importantly it had jurisdiction throughout the US and in some international countries. Ending the SSR would be a hard job, it would face scrutiny by the government and citizens that knew about it.

"Howard, you're in charge of all the science, and technology in the SSR. Peggy you're practically the chief." I pointed out, their stares were still blank and guarded. The thing about power is, good people don't want to grab it because it's bad to do so, and bad people want to grab it because it's too good to let go. No good person wants to be seen as power hungry, only the enemies are starving for power.

"Wouldn't the government just make a new SSR?" Peggy added. She leaned against the desk with her arms crossed.

"Well we could be the ones that start the new program?" I suggested.

"I kind of like that idea." Howard finally spoke out.

"Peggy could be the director, you could be in charge of the science part and I could be your first agent." I didn't dare put myself in the seat as a director, it didn't seem right.

"You'll probably end up being our only agent. If we do this we need to make sure it's all legitimate. We need to talk to the right people, bring in the right people, and take the right missions. I assume we're going to have to hand over some of our power to the government, they're going to want to watch us more closely now that the SSR is wasted." Peggy commented, and you could watch the wheels turning in her head. She was really considering this.

"What if, we worked with the new UN, the United Nations. What if we asked for a committee of them? If we have a committee of them watching us, then we might be able to trade that for jurisdiction throughout the world, something the SSR didn't even have that."