17

I knew the look on Steve's face all to well. His face was stoic from all emotion. He looked like a blank canvas. He was in pain. A deep pain, I'll probably never fully understand. He was frozen. He didn't die, instead he lost everything and he woke up in a different century. I couldn't tell if death would be better than being lost in the world you risked your life for. I couldn't tell if it would be better than knowing almost everyone you loved was gone.

Steve sat uncomfortably in the car and didn't utter a single sound for the rest of the drive. I didn't speak either. There was nothing in this world that I could have said to help him then. There were no words for this, and sometimes words are too much. I drove us to my apartment and let him take in the new New York. He looked out the window wishing everything would slow down so he could fully comprehend everything. He ducked his head to look at the skyscrapers and screens.

My apartment was simple and pretty big for a Brooklyn apartment. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The walls were mostly made of brick, save the walls that made the master bedroom and hallway. I used the spare bedroom because it had a better view. The kitchen bled right into the living area, it was all one big room. My kitchen was simple, nothing fancy since I'm not a chef. The floors were a  mundane wooden color. It was simple and that was all I needed.

Once at my apartment he just stood in the middle of the floor. He looked at the kitchen probably not recognizing what half the appliances were. He looked into the living area and saw a screen hanging up above the fireplace and turned to stare at his feet. I was scared he was going to fold and break down. He clenched his fists and took a deep breath. I hated to see him so tormented. He was just in a world that was not his own.

"How are you doing?" I asked him keeping my voice soft. I touched his shoulder lightly and he looked down at me. His eyes looked like a lost puppy, sad and sorrowful.

"I don't know where to start" he choked out. The adrenaline was officially out of his system, and he was feeling the crash. His voice was soft and horse, he was quickly building walls and separating himself from reality. I could see it in his eyes. Steve was always one to jump right into the action, head first, but now he didn't even know where to go. He didn't have a job right now, he didn't even have a sense of direction.

"That's okay" I tried to reassure him.

"So the super soldier serum?" Steve said looking at me. He still seemed to tower over me even though I'm a few inches taller than when he last saw me.

"I was injected with the same and enhanced serum as you. The serum gave me everything you can do, I'm at the peak of human physicality. Unlike you my senses are extremely enhanced, like in a silent room I can hear your heartbeat. I can see miles away and I feel and smell everything stronger too. The serum slows down my aging so I still look young. " I explained to Steve. His expression was still blank.

"What about Peggy?"

"She's fine. I'm still in touch with her. She aged and she's about 92 now." I told him. I heard a sigh of relief come from him. He relaxed a bit at my touch, but I was still worried he'll crumble.

"Is there a place I can stay?" He asked.

"Yeah, until you start adapting to all of this, you can stay here. I have an extra room." I said. I took him to my extra room. It was a good size room. It had a bathroom connected to it. It was actually the master bedroom, but I like the windows better in the guest.

He sat down on the bed and looked down. He wanted to be alone, but for whatever reason I couldn't leave him alone. I just needed to make sure he was going to be okay.