Chapter 40 - Always

I hope you like this chapter, because I certainly enjoyed writing it.

Photo: Noah

Song: Hear You me, by Jimmy Eat World (OMG I love it)!

............................................

"Noah, can you hear me?" I asked, standing over the bed as his eyes fluttered open.

I could barely control myself and the happiness I felt was like nothing I had ever experienced before. Just seeing his beautiful blue eyes made everything okay again. It was something I had been praying for everyday. I couldn't help but smile broadly as Noah looked up at me. "Hey there," I smiled. "I've missed you college boy."

The tears pooled in my eyes as I reached up and brushed the hair off his forehead, but his eyes had trouble following me. Suddenly, his hand shot up fast and he grabbed hold of his breathing tube frantically, a look of panic in his eyes. He started trying to pull it out and fear overtook me. I knew he couldn't pull it out or he would cause some serious damage. Grabbing hold of his wrist, I tried my hardest to pull his hand away, but his grip was too strong.

"Noah, please," I cried, trying desperately to stop him from pulling out the tube. "You can't pull it out. Noah!"

His eyes darted around the room, and sweat beaded on his forehead. He was panicking, not sure of where he was or what was going on. I held on to his hand tightly and leant over him, placing my lips on his clammy forehead and kissing him lightly. I didn't know what else to do. Despite being in a coma for over a week, his strength was surprising. But as I pressed my lips against his skin, he seemed to calm down and his grip on the breathing tube loosened. The erratic sounds that had been coming from the heart monitor quietened and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Taking a deep breath, I pulled back slightly and looked down at him, the tears beginning to fall. "Hey there college boy," I whispered, wiping my eyes as a tear fell down on to his cheek. "I was scared that you wouldn't wake up. I was so scared that I'd lost you."

He seemed to have trouble focusing but after a brief moment of doubt, Noah's eyes met mine and he blinked, his eyes gazing in to mine. They were even more beautiful than I remembered, deep blue with almost ice coloured flecks running through them. I made a silent promise to myself then and there, to always make sure I would look in to those eyes everyday. Even something so simple as looking in to the eyes of the one you love should never be taken for granted. I knew that now.

My hand was resting on the bed and I looked down as I felt the sheets move. My heart filled with what could have only been pure joy as Noah's hand reached out to mine slowly. He stopped halfway, but his fingers were outstretched to me so I grabbed hold of his hand and entwined my fingers with his. He squeezed my hand gently and I just couldn't control it anymore.

I let out a sob and I collapsed in to the chair beside his bed, the past weeks exhaustion and crippling fear that I had been feeling every moment of everyday finally catching up to me. The tears cascaded down my face but at the same time, it was like a weight had been lifted from my heart. I could finally breathe again.

Lifting my head up, I smiled when I felt Noah squeeze my hand again. It was all he could do, but it meant more than anything else. His head was turned towards me on the pillow and he was looking right at me. Even when Noah was hurting, he was the one who was still looking after me, just like he always does.

Suddenly, the doctor burst through the door looking sightly dishevelled, and very surprised. He gawked at noah for a brief second before breaking in to a smile and walking over. "This is just..." He murmured, glancing towards me. "Barely ten minutes ago he didn't even react to the light. This really is something special."