Chapter 16: Drink Alcohol

Rule #18: Drink Alcohol

And more importantly, never drink juice.

-()-

"Archer, pull your sleeves down."

"But, they're uncomfortable."

Mrs. Raine gives Archer a stern glare. Archer grumbles something under his breath and tugs the sleeves of the suit down to his wrists. His date, a Korean brunette named Kya, shakes her head endearingly. I lie my head down on Irene's shoulder.

"This is taking forever," I mutter. "Ms. Kenndey is probably going to give me another dentention."

Because I signed up for Prom Committee, I have to volunteer for something at Homecoming. I choose mandating the drink table so I can watch over the drinks to make sure no innocent girls (or boys) get their drinks spiked. Irene tells me I'm paranoid. But I rather be safe than sorry.

"They're not going to give a detention for showing up late, dummy," Irene runs her fingers through my pink strands. "If anything, you'll just make an entrance."

"I will?"

"Of course! Why do you think I gave you such a cute outfit?"

I roll my eyes. My outfit is just a plain pink tunic with a white undershit and black tights. I'm the only one who's not wearing a dress, excluding the boys.

We watch as Mrs. Raine flashes a couple of photos of Archer and Kya as they take on different poses - some serious, some humourous, some from Romeo and Juliet - and tries to boss them around. I feel sorry for Archer. Sometimes, I think she might be even bossier than my mom.

Jake, who's only coming because of Irene, plays with his lock-picking tools while Melody and her friend Raquel pose in font of the camera. Andrew, who refuses to go to any sort of 'money-grabbing shit', is nowhere in sight.

Ten minutes later, Archer interrupts.

"Okay, that's enough," He declares. "No, mom, I meant it. It's been ten minutes. People are starting to fall asleep. I just want to go already."

"Thank god." Irene and Jake stand up immediately. It takes me another minutes to push myself up, because my legs have fallen asleep. I stretch out my drowsiness.

Archer begins to open the door.

"Wait," Mom blurts out, snatching the camera from Mrs. Raine. "Just one more picture."

"We already took dozens, mom." I sigh.

"But I still need one of you and Archer."

I roll my eyes so hard that they feel like they're going to roll out of my head. "No thanks, mom. I don't want any pictures."

"Just one," Mom protests. "Your outfits even match."

Archer's grinning.

I'm about to come with a biting remark when Irene grabs my wrist and tugs me towards the open door. "That's nice of you, Mrs. Raine. But we really have to go now - like right now - Peyton's already late and so we have to..." She keeps talking until we're outside.

Once the door slams shut, I groan. "Could it be any more awkward?"

Irene aligns her steps next to mine. "I guess this is what happens when your mom catches you sleeping with another boy."

"We were napping on different couches."

"Your mom can be dramatic."

"That's an understatement."