Chapter 46: Always be Negative

Rule #4: Always be Negative

There's always a bad side

 - () -  

The first call comes just after breakfast, right after I put my bowl of fruit salad in the sink. My phone buzzes, which surprises me because I never get calls from people. 

I pick it up. "Hello?" 

"Hey sexy, mind if I -" 

I hang up. 

Gross. But even a weird pervert can't destroy my good mood for today. So, continuing my morning business, I rinse my bowl in the sink. Just when I put in the dishwasher, my phone rings again. I glance at the screen to make sure it's not a number I know. When it's not, I ignore the call and wait for it stop.

Whoever it is sends a text instead. 

123-456-7891: hi bootylicous saw u online

123-456-7981: what r u up to 

I shake my head, but don't focus on it much because, just then, mom walks downstairs. She's wearing a pink bathrobe, a sight I never see unless she's about to go to sleep. With slow and heavy steps, Mom goes to the coffee machine and pours herself a cup. 

I attempt to make a run for it. 

"Peyton," Mom says casually, just before I can escape. "How's your day going?" 

I turn around, my boots squeaking against the tiled kitchen floor. Mom leans against the counter top, watching me with surprisingly alert eyes. 

"Well, it just started, so..." When mom continues to watch me, I sigh and continue. "It's going good. I think. Fine."

"That's good." 

"Yeah." 

"Why aren't you going to school yet?" 

"Ah well," I silence my phone as it buzzes again. "It's still pretty early. Archer usually picks me up in a couple of minutes -" 

"Archer?" 

"...yeah?" 

"I see," Mom takes another sip of her coffee. "So is this something you two do now? As a couple?" 

"Not really. Melody and Julia usually come along." 

"Oh, are they dating too?" 

"No," Irritation flashes through me, but I crush it down. "She's dating Raquel."  

"Right. You just never know these days. And how are you and Archer doing? Any plans for today?" 

"Yeah, it's Friday so I'm going to be hanging out at his house today," I shrug, crossing my arms. "Nothing too fancy." 

Mom glances at a spot above my head, hearts in her eyes. "I've always thought you two would be the sweetest couple. They were sparks between since you two when you first met, I could tell. He couldn't keep his eyes off you the entire time you were talking." 

Yeah, because he was scared that he gave me a concussion. 

"Your dad is very proud. And so am I. I must admit, after the incident with Xavier, I thought you wouldn't find another proper boy again." 

I don't know how to respond.

Bit Melody saves me by hopping down the stairs. Just like mom, she's wearing shaggy clothes - a simple sweatshirt and loose jeans. In a surprising twist of event, it seems like the I'm the best-dressed woman today.