Chapter 28: Damsels don't Distress

Rule #49: Damsels don't Distress

Rebels don't need rescuing.

- () -

RECAP: Sometime in early November, a man named Susan Smith adopted a female Pitbull called Harper and took her home. Later, Peyton's manager, Peter, found out that some of the documents Susan Smith had weren't right. In this chapter, they're going to go figure out who exactly Susan Smith is. 

- () -

The effects of my medicine double on the ride to work. My eyes are no longer red. My throat no longer itches. My head no longer aches. My nose is no longer stuffed and when I inhale, I can smell everything - the wet pavement, the rose bushes, Archer's cologne. It's all so exciting so I jump out of the car before Archer even parks it. 

"You're going to hit your head again!" He yells. 

I ignore him and sniff the roses. Archer catches just when I'm about to pluck one and grabs my hand before I can touch the flower. Oh well. Who needs flowers anyways? I swing open the door and listen to the familiar ring of the bell. Then, I walk instead, with Archer trailing behind. 

"Hey," I protest meekly. "Stop following me." 

"Then stop holding my hand." 

I ignore him. 

"Peyton," Peter, my manager, shouts. "Come to my office, please!"

I can't see Peter. For a second, I think he's turned invisible, but then realize he must be calling from his office. I respond by yelling, "Okay. Is it okay if I bring Archer with me?" 

"Is he that cutie from the tattoo parlor?" 

I glance at his face, then at his tattoo. "I think so."

"Then okay!" 

Archer's grinning. "Is that how you guys refer to me? As the 'cutie from the tattoo parlor'?"

"Peter does. I refer to you as 'the idiot from the tattoo parlor'." 

"Am I a cute idiot?" 

"Depends. Do you still like Bettie?" 

When we reach the office, Leonardo, my coworker, is waiting there along with us. I see the piglet that Peter brought in a couple of weeks ago resting in the corner, sleeping against a stuffed animal.

"Leo, this is Archer. Archer, that's the cutie I'm always talking about." Peter introduces. 

Leo nods solemnly. "Hey cutie."

"Hey Leo."

Peter focuses his attention on me. "You arrived just in time. Leo and I were just about to leave to speak to Susan Smith, but since you're here, we can go and Leo can take care of the shop." 

"Why me?" 

"Because you're the one who gave him Harper. I think he'll be friendlier if we show him a familiar face. He hasn't returned any of our calls." 

None of his words make sense but I nod anyways. 

"Are you okay?" Peter eyes me suspiciously. "You seem a little strange today."

"Drugs." I say, shrugging. 

"She took some pills because she's sick," Archer clarifies. "Can I come along and make sure Peyton doesn't kill herself by accident?" 

Peter doesn't even blink.  "Sure. Let me get the car and you guys wait in the front." 

While Peter leaves, Leonardo and I introduce Archer to all the animals in the shop. Well, I do. Leonardo leaves halfway through the tour because a customer enters the shop (but it's really his ex-girlfriend, trying to get back together with him).