Chapter 50: The Number One Rule

Rule #1: No Rules

Who do you think we are? 

- () - 

Summer is just around the corner. 

I taste it in the lazy sunshine and grilled meat. I hear it in the chatter of sprinklers and buzz of insects. I feel it in the soft breeze that brushes inside the open window. I want to step outside, soak in the new season, and forget about all my problems. 

Instead, I twist my neck to peer inside the kennel. In the back, hidden entirely by the shadows, a black feline with yellow eyes blinks at me. By the irritated swish of her tail, I know she's upset. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper to Lucky. "If it was up to me, you'd never be in this cage." 

I poke one finger in through the bars. She sniffs it once, then retreats back in the corner. For a stray cat who just got captured by animal control a day ago, Lucky's staying remarkably calm. 

I stand up with a sigh. "What's going to happen to her now?" 

"Like I said earlier, we don't have enough space," Peter scratches his chin. He's been trying to grow a beard recently. "Most probably we'll be moving her to an out-of-state facility." 

"Which one?" 

"Whichever has room, unless..." 

My head snaps up. "Unless?" 

"Unless somebody adopts her, obviously," Peter watches me with an intense gaze. "But seeing as how we're keeping her for one week, I'm not sure that's a strong possibility." 

I swallow thickly, refusing to look back at Lucky's kennel. I don't think I could bare it. Guilt and dread mix in my stomach, creating a sensation that makes me want to throw up into the nearest trash can. 

"Well," I mutter. "Let's just hope we get lucky." 

"I suppose that's the only choice I have," Peter checks his watch. "Almost closing time. You want to do overtime today?" 

"No, maybe tomorrow. I have to meet Archer anyways. Thanks for letting me know about the situation, Peter." 

"I'll see you tomorrow." 

I hang up my name tag and step outside. Even the cheer of summer doesn't perk up my mood. If Lucky doesn't get adopted, who knows where she'll end up? With the way things are, she might end up at a high-kill facility - 

no, stop. 

I enter Archer's workplace, taking in the usual scent of ink and sweat. Spike  works at the counter, nodding along to the rap music that blares from the speakers. He points to the back when I walk in. I mummer a quick thanks and head to the back room. 

I catch Archer just as he's taking off his fake piercings. He glances up when I arrive. "Turn around. Let my check your tattoo." 

I do as he says, pulling the sleeve of my shirt down. 

His fingers brush against my skin. "Was it her?" 

"Yeah," I shiver involuntarily. "It was Lucky." 

"That's good, isn't it? That animal control dropped her off at your place." 

"Yeah, it worked out pretty good for me," I stare at my shoes, at the torn apart edges. "But she's going to be moved to an out-of-state shelter in a week or so. I wish I could -" 

Archer pulls my sleeve up. "You wish you could...?" 

"Nothing," I swallow again. "Nothing. It's - just wishful thinking. I shouldn't have said anything in the first place. My first AP exam starts tomorrow - and so does yours. We should get home to do some last minute studying."