The Keeper of the Queen - I

The King

The beast is calming down, now she's back in my arms. Just having her near lessens his clawing. I do not know why he's awakened once more, or why he reacts to my betrothed this way. I've gone over the exchange with her father a thousand times.

At that time, had no need for a queen running the country was no burden to me, but when the king of Tuath – tir came to me, begging me to take his daughter in exchange for a reasonable price, to save his country, I could not help myself.

Something that's bothered me since is the question why? Why did I say yes to this ruthless king, whom just sold his daughter off for a low dowry? A distinct scent that lingered on him, it was weak from traveling so far, but it was still there. A scent I now know as my queen's. A scent that over and over again can send shivers up my back.

When I saw her for the first time on those docks I knew I had seen her before. Once, more than a decade ago, I traveled to Kaupa. As soon as I stepped off the docks a wonderful scent made me lose my wits. I remember looking around, searching for the scent. When I finally found the source I realized it belonged to a frail, feeble-looking girl. She was sitting on a wooden box, next to a trade ship. Back then I didn't know why I was so smitten with her. I didn't even realize her age at that time; she must have been eight or seven summers old.

Time doesn't matter much to me anymore. After a hundred decades things start to blur together. I haven't aged for some time now. I've been waiting for something or rather someone. Now that I have her I know I won't have to stay frozen in time much longer.

I intend to grow old with her. Maybe even have children someday. I've been alone for too long, and now I've found the one who can fill the void. I long for someone to share the rest of my life with. I've had enough of this life, I want peace. Sadly it doesn't seem like peace will come to me for a while.

She refuses to speak to me, which I perfectly understand, though that doesn't mean I will accept it. I've thought of those cruel words I said to her, the same night I got her back. The same night she saw the beast in his full form.

I let my mind wander back to that night. I remember the rush I got when I saw her, almost like whatever I'm feeling in my human body, the beast just feels it tenfold. The first thing I felt when I saw her, was relief. Relief that she was alive. Then I saw her state, bloody, beaten and frightened. All those things I've promised myself she should never have to feel again. The beast was almost too much for me to control.

I regret the words I said to her, mostly because they were said in anger. I was angry at the fact that the beast was willing to kill for her. I was angry at the fact that she might mean more than she should.

So, the selfish temperamental beast awakened inside me and said some words I would not like to repeat. I know I've done her wrong, but my pride will not allow me to make up for it. That's once again a trade of not only the king in me but also the beast. I'm being pulled in different directions, which makes me on edge and irritated, even more than usual.

The only thing that can calm both me and my beast is Galena. The halls are empty, and I meet none on my way to her room in the tower. It might be because of the late hour. My beast has been keeping me up, nagging me about the smallest things, and sleep has not come to me for some time now.

As I climb the last steps of the stairs I listen intently. I try to make out if she's awake or not, but when I hear her soft even breathing, I'm sure she's sleeping contently. I push the door to her room open with a sleek motion and quickly close it behind me. Even in the dimly lit room, I can see perfectly clear. She's beautiful, my queen, even with puffy, red eyes from crying. The only source of light is the moon that casts a mournful light over her sleeping form. Her hair glows in the moonlight making it seem like a halo.