The Keeper of the Future - III

These walls have confined me for too long, too long have I been sitting in that tower, and roamed the hallways of the fortress. I miss the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. What I've learned over my time here is; that I do not do well behind stone walls.

My betrothed has once again had a great deal to look after. I cannot even begin to fair how difficult it must be to lead a country; to have people looking up to you, looking to you for guidance and rules. So I've taken it upon myself to look after Quesse. I've figured if I'm supposed to lead this kingdom by his side. Then taking care of my own horse might be a good way to start.

I lead the white mare to the city gates before getting my foot in the stirrup and pull myself in the saddle. I enjoy the fact that to one really knows who I am yet. It's the first time I'm just a woman on a horse. For the first time in my life, I'm just some nobody. I draw up the hood on my heavy dark green cloak.

I steer the white mare to the west gate. From my tower, I'm able to see all the gates and bridges. The south gate is by far the biggest. The castle is built into a mountainside making it easier to protect. The south gate is the main and middle gate where the widest bridge over the moat is placed. The south gate leads directly to the surrounding village. The east gate will lead you to the port and the outskirts of the village and if you ride even further you'll reach the headland. But the west gate will lead you to the forest and the woodland; if you ride up the mountain you'll eventually reach the scrubland.

The woods can be dangerous and delirious. I make sure I stay on the path and out of the marshy part of the woodland. I keep on the road my betrothed has shown me. I look out between Quesse's white pointy ears. I remember his words about the mountains clear as day. Since he told me about them, I've feared and admired the gods' beautiful creations.

A rustle of leaves makes the horse pick up its head. She sidesteps nervously and makes a low whining sound. My heart is hammering in my chest. The forest on both sides of the road is quiet.

"Find your courage, Quesse," I give her soft fur a good pet before asking her walking forward. The mare displays what I feel inside angst. I turn her around heading back to the castle. I've already ridden a good way into the forest and turning back now won't bring me back to safety before a good while.

The gravel behind me rattles. A man is blocking the road. He's tall, wide shoulders and a small waist. His hair is black and falls in loose curls around his head. He's blocking my way out, but that's not what scares me the most. A long scar runs down his face from his hairline, down over his forehead over his eye ending in the middle of his cheek. Scars run over his chest and for arms. Green and blue painting decorate his chest arms and one side of his face.

He's standing much closer than I first anticipated with one hand he reaches out and I'm sure that if he lunged just a bit then he would be able to catch the rein of my horse.

I'm thrown out of my trance and kick my spur my heels into the horse's flank. She doesn't need much encouragement to lunge forward. She speeds to him, she makes a sidestep trying to avoid the rock blocking our path to safety.

But the outstretched hand changes direction and throw me of my horse. I hit the ground with a hard thud. I let out a strangled wound as all air is knocked out of me and the back of my head hit the rocky ground hard. I can already feel the blood trickling out, hot and sticky. I fight to get to my feet, my head's spinning. But when his claw-like hand wraps around my forearm, I let out an ear piercing scream.

His arms circle around my body lifting me off ground with ease. I start thrashing around, kicking my feet wildly hoping to hit him.

"Let go of me!" I scream at the top of my lungs. The white mare has finally realized it's lost its rider and stops whining pitifully. Around me, I see more like him streaming out of the tree line and onto the path. I see a man running towards the mare trying to capture her.

"Run Quesse! Run home!" almost as if the frightened horse knows what to do it turns and runs towards the village, I just hope she reaches through the guard and onto the castle ground, I know if my betrothed sees her running around without a rider he will know something is wrong.

When I see the last of the white mare disappearing behind the tree line, I turn my wrath to my capture. I kick and scream, but he has me in a death lock. The other men circles around us, like they find my desperation amusing.

My tactic is not working so I just go limp in his arms, which clearly surprises all. When I turn his head down to look at me, to find out if he killed me yet I strike. I yank my head back hitting him square over the nose and I can clearly hear the crunch of a bone. I know nothing of broken bones, but it's still a very satisfying sound to hear that crunch. I hear I groan and I can't suppress the smile on my face.

Sadly the smile slips off my face just as fast as it came when I hear a growl. It's a deep rumble; I can even feel his chest vibrating with the force of it. Fear spreads like a fire. I feel trapped in his arms and start trashing once again.

"Release me at once" I scream at him trying to give him another head bud, but he doesn't fall for it twice.

"Quiet down, princess, you're not queen yet,"