Chapter Eleven

Oliver didn't offer me any explanations and prevented me from attempting to ask for one by drowning any sound I might offer with music on our way back home. As soon as we had achieved a distance away from the mysterious man, the tension that had accompanied Oliver was suddenly diminished. It was as if Oliver was two people sharing the same meat suit.

When he parked the vehicle just outside the building, he was suddenly gone. I hesitated before stepping out of the car and looking around. Oliver stood by the front door, peering back at me with a serious look crossing his face. When he caught me watching, his familiar smirk slid into place and he indicated with a small tilt of his head for me to catch up.

I quickly walked the distance to him, but just as I was within talking distance he was gone again, the front door opened in his place. I paused again, frowning as a slow irritation began to form within me. I wasn't stupid. He was avoiding my questions and being quite obvious about it.

I stepped into the mansion, spotting Oliver midway up the staircase. He leaned against the railing, watching me determinedly. His ginger hair shifted over his face in a way that cast his features into near striking intensity. For a moment, I allowed my eyes to trail over his being, allowing his alluring existence to distract me. And then I took the steps with purposeful strides.

I could sense him about to play his disappearing game again. Before I took another step, I suddenly blurted loudly, "Who is Des-?" My question was interrupted by a hand over my mouth. The light of his touch sparked over my skin and erupted throughout me. Oliver released his full hand to replace just a finger over my lips carefully.

"Let's keep that between you and me, alright?" Oliver suggested in a hushed voice. I disagreed with his words, but my voice was lost behind his touch. He ran his fingertip over my lip slowly, watching the glow follow his touch with interest.

"Where were you?" I heard the familiar drawl of Theo's voice from the top of the stairway. Oliver didn't pull his eyes from me, but a slow smile grew on his features. It was only after a moment of silence that his black gaze moved from me to Theo carelessly.

"What? Are you my mother?" He asked sarcastically.

"The sun is almost up," Theo responded simply. I wanted to look at him, to address him as well, but Oliver kept his mystical hold on me until I felt much like a blissful, mindless prisoner.

"I don't think it was me you were worried about," Oliver stated deviously. He abruptly turned me towards Theo, pressing his body against the length of mine from behind. He ran his hand under the cloth of my shirt, his flesh trailing along mine to bring that addicting warmth throughout me. "How do you like our little musical pet's new look, Teddy?"

Theo looked cross for a moment, though I wasn't sure if it was because of the nickname or because he disapproved of my outfit. Oliver's lips brushed over my ear momentarily, drawing my attention enough for me to lean my head back against him, leaving the flesh of my neck and shoulder revealed vulnerably.

"You're being childish," Theo answered dully, his only reaction being in his raven eyes which were drawn to my bared skin almost hungrily.

"Maybe a little bit. It's unusual to see you so envious," Oliver cracked with amusement, but not altogether unkind. He reluctantly released me carefully so that I didn't slip on the steps under me. "Go on, little devil. Say hello to Theo."

I turned to look at Oliver, feeling as though he was playing another game of his. Without his touch on my skin, the warmth of his presence was dimmed. I was left with a clear mind and the chill of my stand alone existence. For a moment, I considered using this time to finally ask exactly who the Desmond man was to Oliver, but something about his expression was pleading with me to be agreeable and silent. A part of me wasn't that type of person; the agreeable type. But another part of me didn't want to upset or otherwise displease him.