Chapter Twenty-Two

The woman and her companion stood watching me expectedly within the dark, empty alley. Witches, my mind reminded me, they were witches. I hesitated, not understanding who this person was and why she was looking for me. I took a step back, shaking my head briefly.

"I'm not... I'm not a Phoenix," I told her unconvincingly.

"Don't worry. Your purpose has been fulfilled, Phoenix. You no longer need to hide," She continued, taking a step towards me. Her appearance was gentle, yielding even, but still I stepped away. She paused at my retreat, frowning. "You're supposed to come to us, not move away..."

"Camelia, we have to leave," the man warned her, "Use the spell now." The woman, Camelia, lifted her hand to silence him before taking another step towards me.

"You're mistaken," I told her, my voice high with growing fear. "I'm not a Phoenix."

"I'm certain you are. We've been using all of our magic to search for you. If you're not the Phoenix, then this will not affect you," Camelia responded, lifting her hand towards me carefully. I abruptly began to turn and run, but before I could, she called out, "Nixabilis." I froze.

The word bound me. I felt it twist through my body like iced water, stealing away my control with ease. My hands fell limp beside me, all fight having been stripped from me with a single spell. All the information that had been provided to me was deafened into a black silence. I was suddenly separated within into two counterparts; a vessel of power and a quieter flame that held my human essence. The flame in me fought the cold of the binding spell. It fought to spread over my limbs so that I could move, but my body held no response to my own wishes.

"Phoenix, answer me," Camelia ordered me and though my eyes could no longer focus on the images around me, I knew I had no other choice than to obey her. "Why didn't you do what you were meant to do? Why did you neglect to search for Exodus?" I struggled to fight her questions. I didn't want to risk harming my vampires. The flame within me sparked at the thought of them and it was enough to affect my answer.

"I have done my duty," I responded in another language, the words twisting through my tongue as if from another being entirely.

"Speak in English, Phoenix," Camelia scolded me firmly, the order battling my own struggle within me.

"I have done my duty," I repeated in English, my voice emotionless.

"You have not. As the Phoenix of Genesis, you were supposed to appear to the coven of Exodus. Answer my question, Phoenix. Why did you neglect your purpose?" Her voice was strong and forceful. My spirit whimpered within me, struggling to withhold information wildly.

"I have done my duty," I said once again, "I appeared to Genesis."

"Exodus," Camelia corrected me, "You were to appear to Exodus."

"I appeared to Genesis. My purpose is fulfilled," I continued, unfazed.

"She's making no sense," Camelia turned to the man behind her. "She's fighting the Phoenix Call. Check her core." The man stepped around her, approaching me determinedly. He lifted his hand to me, holding his palm adjacent to my chest with concentration.

"Zetvisio," He said sharply, leading a light over the palm of his hand powerfully. I stood unresponsive, unable to move away as I truly wanted to. He held his palm over me, his eyes glowing with the light as he inspected me.