Chapter Sixteen

Levi and I strolled along the sidewalk hand in hand. The night air was crisp and chilly, but the snow had gone. I stepped purposely in the puddles we came across, finding delight in the world I was in. With Levi's grip in mine, I felt as though nothing could darken my mood.

We were on another date. This was how Levi spent his time with me; adorning me with gifts, affection, and taking me out whenever possible to explore nearby sites. When day came for him, I lied in his arms comfortably as if there were no other place I was meant to be. I was happier than I could ever recall, but still I felt unsatisfied. My instinct was building a quiet fire within me, demanding something from me that I didn't quite understand as of yet.

"Where are we going?" I asked Levi curiously, catching his attention.

"You'll see soon, darling," He responded simply. I watched him momentarily.

Levi was still attempting his original quest; to have me fall in love with him. I hadn't found the heart to tell him that his quest was pointless. I liked to spend my free time peeking through his romance novel collection, researching the whole subject extensively. If I was correct in understanding myself, then there was a strong fact that rang within my soul; I was already deeply in love with him.

And if I was correct, Levi wasn't the only man I was in love with.

I boldly stepped away from Levi, hand still in his grip, and leapt onto an adjacent bench as we passed it. I was balancing precariously on its edge when Levi teasingly tugged on his grip, causing me to lose my balance. He swiftly caught me in his embrace before I could fall, twirling me much to my delight.

I laughed with pleasure, my body positively humming. When he stopped, he didn't release me from his grasp. I found my eyes leveled with his and his lips suddenly so close to mine. For a moment he froze as if startled by my propinquity.

"Am I making you nervous?" I taunted him.

"You're quite playful today," Levi ignored my question, releasing me promptly. I stood as he walked a few steps away from me, watching him move away quietly. When he paused and turned back to me, I pulled my hands behind my back and swayed my body back and forth sheepishly.

"Oh, how rude of me," Levi answered my unsaid words. He held out his hand invitingly, causing a responding smile to rise in my features before I stepped forward and was in his grip once again. "What would you like to talk about today, Katia?"

I thought about it for a moment. Of all the vampires, Levi was the most open when it came to conversation. He didn't mind my questions and because of this, I'd come to learn a lot about him and his kind.

Levi used to be a writer as a human. He enjoyed writing poetry and the occasional short story. Since becoming a vampire, he had lost his inspiration and only stuck to reading as a way to recall those human desires he used to have. In this sense, Levi spoke of his respect for Theo because Theo was able to create music despite his vampire condition.

It's hard to create art from nothing.

I still didn't believe his insinuation that he and the others felt nothing.

"Have you ever been in love before, Levi?" I inquired inquisitively.

"As a human, yes," Levi responded swiftly, "Many times with many women." He winked slyly.

I hesitated. "In the novels in your room, they speak of one person being in love with another. Isn't the idea of loving many women considered... wrong?" I asked carefully.