Chapter 4

Eliza's POV

"Okay. I've been tracking all the rogue attacks, and I know there must be some form of pattern as to where they will attack. I just can't figure it out. Eliza? Any ideas?" My Dad asked me.

I shook my head. Feeling annoyed, I asked him, "Dad, even if we do happen to find out where they're going to attack next, how am I supposed to fight them all by myself?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. I don't know." Exasperation was clear on his face. He sighed and sat down on the sofa, next to me.

We've been at this for hours, yet we can't seem to figure anything out. I sighed. My wolf was no help either. She was whining and fussing about being in the same position for too long, and badly wanted to go for a run. I've been ignoring her. Until now. I finally caved in to her pleas. Excusing myself from the little meeting we were having, I walked outside and undressed.

I shifted into my white wolf, careful to check that no one was watching. To the pack, I was merely a kid that my family adopted, that was werewolf and human hybrid, so I, despite my scent telling them I was a werewolf, couldn't shift.

I stretched my legs, which were sore from sitting down too long, before breaking out into a run. I smiled (or at least tried to, in my wolf form) at the way the wind was blowing on my face. I felt adrenaline coursing through my veins and I willed myself to run faster.

Suddenly, I smelt something. I didn't know what, but I knew something, or someone was there. And that he didn't belong to my pack.

I stopped abruptly from my run, determined to find out what it was.

I concentrated on the scent. It was unfamiliar and I instantly knew, that it was a rogue.

But the scent of this rogue was different. No, it didn't smell like garbage and blood or stank like other rogues. This one was the perfect combination of strawberries and peaches, and almost made me drool at the scent. My wolf was urging me to move forward, to follow the scent.

I didn't know why, but I listened. It was almost as if I was doing that on instinct.

I sniffed the air one more time, before following the amazing scent. Then I saw it.

A wolf. It's colour, as black as night. It was behind a bush, looking left and right before advancing forward. It finally dawned on me that it was hiding. From what? I do not know.

But the wolf, so deep in thought, concentrating hard on his task, did not seem to notice my presence.

I took a step forward. It was strange, because despite knowing that he is a rogue, that he was dangerous, and that he might kill me with one move, I felt safe with him. Like he would protect me from all danger.

A twig snapped when I stepped forward. The wolf's head snapped in my direction. He obviously saw me, and looked over in curiosity.

He sniffed. That was strange. Was he smelling what I was smelling? What were we smelling?

He walked over to me. His eyes fixed on mine.

And then my wolf whispered the one word I wished she didn't. The one word that made everything - the scent, why my wolf was urging me to go forward, make sense. The one word that I knew was going to change my life.

"Mate."

I let that sink in for a while. Then I finally realised. My mate, was a rogue.

He was the exact same thing I was trying to run away and hide from, and the exact same thing I wanted to kill for revenge for my parents.

I saw his eyes widen the slightest bit. I guessed he must've realised that I, was Wolfsbane.

He jerked his head toward a tree, telling me to go and shift.

But as much as my wolf was begging me to do, I didn't. I gave him a look that only held apology and I did something that had to be the worst thing to do.

I ran.

I ran fast and swiftly. I wanted to get home. And more importantly, I wanted to get away from my mate.

I picked up my pace when I saw my house. I didn't bother to change, I just ran into my room in wolf form. I didn't even care that my Mom hated that. She was yelling at me and my Dad was calling me, wanting to continue the meeting with me.

But I ignored them both. I shifted back and plopped myself on my bed. I told my parents I was going to sleep and not to disturb me.

Then, I finally let it all out. I cried like I never did before. I didn't know why I cried, I was the one who left him, after all.

I guess I was just upset that I got a mate, something I have been looking forward to for so long, yet I can't be with him.

My heart throbbed and my wolf yearned for her mate.

Once again, I ignored them.

At that point of time, I didn't care that his kind killed my parents. It probably wasn't him anyway, so that didn't really matter to me. I didn't want to kill him.

What mattered however, was the fact that he, and his kind, wanted to kill me.

I cried myself to sleep that night, just wishing that I didn't have him for a mate.

...

So she finally met her mate. I hoped you like this chapter, and if you did, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan. It would mean so much to me.

Also, thank you so much for reading and voting! I'm really happy with the results of this story. :)

On a side note, the updates might be slower now because my exams are next week (ew) and I really hope you understand.

Check out my other book - Mate if you have the time.

Thank you for everything,

~Claudia xx