Chapter Five: Acquaintances

Evelyn's POV

I sat across the room from him, paying no attention as our families flipped through swatches of color schemes in another corner. He epitomized the stillness of a rock. In fact, he was probably the ideal mannequin for his tailor, unlike me. How could a human being be so emotionless? If he wasn't being rude, he was perfectly stoic. I honestly didn't know which side I preferred more.

My eyes stayed glued on him. I resolved to follow Sky's advice, despite how unwelcome it was. Understand him, Evelyn. I stared at him a few moments more, hoping I'd suddenly develop the ability to decipher his thoughts. He looked up at me. Those sapphire eyes bore into me, no longer hidden behind his dark hair. I stared back, trying to ignore the intensity of his gaze. The moment quickly became awkward and I wished for something to break it. 

As if on cue, he opened his mouth, "I believe we need to talk."

"Then talk." I stated. 

He raised his eyebrows at my tone, but regardless, he left his seat to occupy the empty space next to me. His close vicinity set fire to my nerves, so much so that I couldn't get myself to face him.

He whispered in a voice so low that only I could hear his words, "I'm sorry."

My heart skipped a beat. This time, I met his eyes. I still couldn't read the intentions he hid behind that brewing storm. 

"Come again?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Your ears didn't fail you."

"No, I think they have. Prince Ashton is far too haughty to apologize."

"Think what you may, but you heard the truth."

"Why, I wonder."

He sighed, "It was wrong of me to overstep my boundaries in such a manner... and I possibly offended you by doing so."

My eyes widened out of utter disbelief. I didn't want to cut him any slack, but I found myself speaking before I could think.

"I-I apologize too. I understand that you're going through a tough time right now, so naturally you're very stressed. Despite all that, thank you for sending Sky to check on me, it's reassuring to know that you care."

"What do you mean?" He questioned in a louder voice, breaking up our private conversation.

I looked at him, confused.

"You sent him to call on me this morning, remember?"

"I did no such thing. Why would I send him to call on you?"

I didn't know how to feel, satisfied that he apologized or hurt that he truly didn't care.

"Then... what—"

"Sky is the one who convinced me to apologize to you in the first place!"

Convinced. He needed to be persuaded into an apology, despite his blatantly poor behavior.

I was at a loss for words. I quickly put the pieces together. Sky you sneaky little... I would deal with him later.

"Why, must someone talk you into accepting your wrongs? I supposed the single peanut you have for a brain is incapable of self-reflection. Sky is the one who advised me to see your unkind face today, or else I would've never come."

"I don't commit wrongs, for your information! And it wouldn't do me any harm if I didn't see your pathetic face either!" He shot back.

"SKY!" We screamed in unison, startling the bustling crowd in the room.

He was conversing, or rather- flirting, with a girl setting up flower arrangements on the other side of the room. He looked a bit startled as his name resounded throughout the private quarters. To avoid spinning the rumor mill, I plastered a smile on my face and beckoned towards the hallway. As soon as we were out of earshot, I turned to face the other two.

"What's the matter?" Sky asked, feigning innocence.

"The matter is that you lied to me." I annunciated through clenched teeth.

"And me as well." Ash accused.

Sky brought a hand up to his forehead, pausing to pinch the bridge of his nose, and looked as if he was suffering from a major headache. Then, he calmly removed it.

"Is it so wrong of me to try and bring you two together? You were doing fine a few minutes ago!" He exclaimed.

"But you lied!" We protested in unison.

We briefly eyed each other, and then turned in opposite directions.

Sky startled us with his deep chuckle.

"Look at the two of you! You're such children! I can't let either of you follow through with this. I'm going in there to call this wedding off right now before it goes any further. There is no way that this will work." He said, turning towards the door.

"No!" I yelped, clinging to his sleeve.

He raised a questioning eyebrow.

"I... They will be sad."

"They?" He asked.

"Everyone. The kingdom will be failed, the Queen will be heartbroken, my family would be disappointed... I... I have no other choice." I insisted.

"Ev, you can't possibly follow through with this! This marriage is meant to last a lifetime, between the two of you. No one else is a part of this arrangement. You'll be left to suffer alone!"

Tears started forming in my eyes.

"I know, but I need to do this." I muttered quietly.

He sighed and his head jerked over to Ash.

"Ash, what are your qualms? What could you possibly dislike about our dear Evelyn? She is worthy of the throne and then some. In fact, she is more suited for the role of a monarch than you are. That is a fact that you stubbornly choose to ignore." He claimed.

I felt my cheeks heat up at Sky's compliments for me, but that feeling quickly deflated when I caught Ash's reaction. 

In response, he merely shrugged. It was a half-hearted shrug at that, the kind you give your mother to acknowledge her presence while simultaneously ignoring her nags about your bad behavior.

"If you weren't such a dear friend, those words could've place you in confinement." He retorted.

My eyes glazed over at his threat and silently willed for Sky to stop, to not cross the line. 

Sky, now extremely agitated, ran a hand through his hair and firmly stated, "Fine. Let's all go in there and put an end to this right now. Ash! Ash don't walk away from me!"

"Just let it be." He yelled over his shoulder before turning the corner.

A prickly silence filled the hall, heavy with Sky's frustration and my fear for the future.

He literally walked away from his problem. Unfortunately, the problem adamantly refused to walk away from him.