Prologue

Professor Cuthert Binns was searching throughout his classroom, room 4B, for his lesson plans. As he searched his desk, the cupboards, even the closet. Not once finding the parchment which held his plans for tomorrows lesson.

But, as he was leaving the closet, a book fell from the shelves. He turned and frowned at the book. He floated over to it, and slowly picked up the book. Binns slowly studied the book, and unwrapped the string around it.

As the string fell, only hanging onto on end of the book, he opened the front cover. Neatly written on the inside of the cover was; "This diary belongs to Margarette Malachite." That part seemed very faded, along with the rest of the book. But, below that was newer ink. Still very old, but not as old as the original, "This is the story of her and her four friends, Helga, Rowena, Godric, and Salazar."

The four names made Binns gasp in shock. He quickly closed the book, rewrapped it, and quickly left the classroom, the book under his arm. He ran/floated to the headmasters office.

He reached the gargoyle guarding his office and said, "Lemon Drops," the gargoyle moved out of the way, revealing a stair case. Binns ran/floated up the staircase, and ran right through the door to his office, "Albus!" The ghost screeched.

Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, and Minerva McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor House, turned toward the ghost professor, "What is it, Cuthert?" Albus asked kindly.

Binns didn't say anything but put the diary on his desk, "A diary, containing information on the founders."

"Which founders diary?" McGonagall asked curiously.

"None of them," Binns answered, "It is by Margarette Malachite."

The two other professors gave each other confused looks, "Pardon? I don't remember that name from when I attended here."

"Neither do I, Albus," McGonagall agreed with the headmaster, "Do you?" She turned to Binns.

"No," he shook his head.

Albus smiled and shook his head, "I think this will be an excellent lesson for the students, don't you think. Reading them a diary that holds the life of the founders."

"But which year?" Binns asked.

"All of them," Dumbledore smiled with a glint in his light blue eyes.

"How?" McGonagall asked confused.

"Minerva, could you collect all of your house and escort them to the Great Hall," Albus told her. She nodded obediently and left the office, "Cuthert, could you tell Severus, Filius, and Ponoma to do the same?"

"Of course," Binns nodded and went to tell the other heads to bring their houses to the Great Hall.

Once his office was empty, Dumbledore looked down at the bound diary with a smile, "What do you have to tell us, Margarette?"

He opened the diary and started to read the first entry,

"Dear Diary,
My name is Margarette Malachite, the date is the 18th of May, the year, 987. Myself, and four of my friends have built a sanctuary in Scotland. It will be a safe haven for young witches and wizards to learn their magic.

This school will be called Hogwarts, and will open in three years time. Each student will be sorted into a house at the age of eleven, and they will stay there for seven years, only returning home on Christmas and during the summer months.

The five houses have different aspects of personalities that we each would like to see. The Slytherin house will be home of the resourceful, ambitious, and cunning. These are the wishes of my friend, Salazar Slytherin. Their house will be located in the dungeons, and their crest will hold a snake, for Salazar is a parselmouth. The colors of their house will be emerald green and silver. For his normally calm demeanor, and his love of serpents, Slytherin's element is water.

The Ravenclaw house will hold students that are creative, witty, and value intelligence and learning. Much like Rowena, who's always reading. Despite the name, the crest will be that of a eagle, for they are intelligent creatures. Her house will be located in the tower by the Stone Bridge. The colors she chose were, blue and bronze. Her element is air, for her calm personality, but of tested will turn into a storm.

Helga Hufflepuff, founder of the Hufflepuff house, values hark work, patience, justice, and loyalty. Her house will be located in the basement, for peaceful nights, and beautiful mornings. Her colors will be her two favorites, canary yellow and black. Their animal is the badger, friendly and kind, unless you threaten them or their family, they'll bite. Her element is earth, for her incredible skills in gardening.

My fourth friend, Godric Gryffindor, will hold the students that are brave beyond compare. They may not look or seem brave, but truly are. The students are courageous, daring, and chivalrous. The colors of his house were chosen as red and gold. The animal of the house is a lion. The house is located in a tower on the seventh floor. The house element is fire, to represent it's fiery students.

And finally my house, Malachite. I take in the students with personalities of all the houses, or more than one. The students that work hard when needed, but have fun in the spare time. The students who will speak their opinions, but listen to others. The brave students that aren't afriad to be cowardly. The patient students that eventually loose their temper. The ambitious ones that give up after a while. The students who are intelligent, but can admit their struggles.

My house colors will be a royal purple and white. The animal located on the crest will be a magnificent pheonix covered in purple feathers, with white shining eyes. My house will be located in the forest just outside of the castle. To enter the house, you must be apart of it. You cannot enter unless you are Malachite, or know the way. Malachite get immediate entrance, while others must try.

The element of my house is spirit. For the spirits of my students, and the spirit I have myself. We have a range of emotions, and are personalities are mixed. Intelligent but dim. Brave but cowardly. Patient but wild. Sly but foolish. We are all in all.

It is almost dark out, and I have informed you of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's five houses, Gryffindor the brave, Hufflepuff the loyal, Ravenclaw the intelligent, Slytherin the sly, and Malachite the spirited.

Sincerely,
Margarette Malachite."