Chapter Seventeen - Margarette Returns

After Luna finished the legend of the Great Merlin's death, Margarette had start to 'cry'. She couldn't because of her dead being, but it was simulated and felt real enough to the powerful witch. The fifth founder of Hogwarts curled up into herself like a child trying to hide from the world as she dry sobbed.

Luna wanted to comfort her, but there was nothing the young Ravenclaw could do. So she just sat silently as Margarette eventually calmed herself down, though it took a long while. After she was calm, Luna started telling stories of her life to keep Margarette's mind off of her son's murder.

After a while the duo reached a comfortable silence before Luna remembered something, "Miss Malachite," Luna started up the conversation, "One of the paintings said that only a Lovegood could open the door. Since I did, do you think the spell keeping you here is broken?"

Margarette narrowed her eyes in thought before she stood up and slowly floated towards the door. Luna removed herself from the floor and followed the ghost who was hesitantly reaching her hand towards the door frame. Hoping- praying- that her hand will go through and she'll be set free.

Soon, the witches hand entered the frame, and then passed through. Margarette stood frozen in shock at actually being able to leave her room- possibly even the manor.

"Would you like to go see Hogwarts?" Luna asked as she walked through the doorway, shaking Margarette from her shock.

The forgotten founder nodded numbly and followed the young girl down the stairs of her manor, passing many cheering- some crying- paintings. They were overjoyed to see Margarette again.

The fairy that told Luna about Margarette and led her to her chambers entered the painting in front of the duo with a bright smile on her face, "Margarette!"

"Hello Imogen," Margarette greeted the faery with a smile.

"I told you, Miss," Imogen said now speaking to Luna, "Only Lovegoods could free Margarette."

"It feels good to be out of my chambers," Margarette sighed, "How long has it been since I died?"

Imogen suddenly got very quiet, and looked away from Margarette, "You don't know?" She asked in a small voice and Margarette shook her head in response, "Over a thousand years, Miss."

Margarette's brown eyes widened in surprise at the news, "A-a thousand years?"

"Yes," Imogen said.

"Well, then I guess I shall see how Hogwarts has changed in my absence," Margarette said before she walked away from both Imogen and Luna, heading towards the front door of the manor. When she noticed Luna wasn't following her, she turned around to face the young witch, "And you've been here for over a day, so we must get you back."

"Of course," Luna smiled as she walked away from Imogen and towards Margarette, who was already outside of the manor and was looking up at the starry night sky.

Once Luna was out of the manor, Margarette and her walked over to the door that was standing in the middle of the field. Margarette reached for the door handle and pulled open the door. The duo looked up and down the empty Hogwarts halls before walking through the door. After Luna closed it behind her, it faded back into the wall.

Margarette breathed in unnecessary air before looking back and smiling at Luna, "It is good to be home."

Luna smiled brightly at Margarette as the duo walked down the hall in silence, "Where are we headed, Miss?"

"To the Great Hall," Margarette answered, "It is about dinner time."

"How can you tell?" Luna asked curiously.

"Did you think I was looking at the stars for fun?" Margarette asked rhetorically, "You can tell time with the sun during the day, and at night, you can use the stars. You are taught that in Astronomy."

Luna nodded silently in understanding as the duo neared the Great Hall, where they could just barely hear Professor Dumbledore silencing the students as he got ready to move onto the next entry off her diary.

And just as he got ready to open the leather bound book, Margarette phased through the door, and Luna opened the door and walked into the Great Hall. The entirety of the Hall stared at Luna in shock before looking at the ghostly figure of Margarette Malachite.