This haunted road will give you nightmares

Without a doubt, Crawford Road is considered the most haunted of its kind in Virginia. Like most haunted places in the state, its reputation comes from a dark history combined with paranormal experiences that continue today. What appears to be a normal one-way lane has a history so chilling that many Yorktown locals avoid using the road altogether. So what is it about this place that makes it so notoriously haunted? There's no clear answer, just an endless list of incidents tied to the area causing concern and quite a reputation.

The first incident is also the most well-known. According to legend, an unhappy bride-to-be took her own life by hanging herself from this bridge. Although this happened many years ago, several witnesses report having seen the apparition looming around this bridge. More recently, there was a woman driving alone who passed under the bridge. She saw another woman standing on the structure, dressed in an all white gown. After the driver had passed through, she felt moved to look back to see what was going on. That's when the figure leapt from the bridge, but did not hit the ground. Instead, the apparition began slowly swaying back and forth, as though it had been hanged. 

The bridge was also the site of many public lynchings that took place in the 1800s and early 1900s. In case those circumstances aren't creepy enough, there is an abandoned building located in the woods where red eyes are said to appear. They "watch" through the open doorway, and when you get close enough they'll suddenly vanish. Some have reported the sensation of their feet being stepped on and mysterious hands felt on their back.

 But if you think staying in the car is the safest bet, you might want to think again. Cars parked under the bridge will suddenly lose battery power. Those driving through have also reported seeing multiple apparitions standing in the middle of the road. And here's another unusual story: one afternoon some teenagers went down the road for a drive listening to a new CD. As they passed under the bridge, the music became a high pitched shrill that lasted nearly ten seconds. And that scream remained on the CD long after they had driven off. 

Crawford Road has had so many deaths in its history that the police tend to patrol it regularly. There have also been hundreds of reported car accidents here. The bridge is known for unusual sightings, crime, and paranormal activities that range from minor to bone-chilling. If you feel compelled to make a trip down this road for yourself, all we can say is you've been warned!