Chapter 4

Gylfi Skarsgård was the first to arrive at the Palace gates. He lounged against the wall, raking a hand through his blond hair, pushing it back from his face. He hated this country. Hated the darkness, the way people carried lamps everywhere so they could see where they were going – he spotted green lights winking and bobbing about in the gardens – and the fact that they had allowed stupid monsters to terrorize them for so long. He wanted out. He wanted to get back to his ship, a truly beautiful Jötun longboat, and ride the waves. He wanted to sail through fjords, with sun in his eyes, sun that lit up the rolling green hills and mountains of Jötunheim.

The Easfall assassin silently joined him, still wearing his bright clothing that instantly set him apart. Gylfi wore his Jötun clothes, too, but his were more muted. He eyed the older man's scimitar, making a note to keep a close eye on him.

The Ravennan girls arrived next – Regina led the way, in surprisingly modest travelling clothes, although the black coat was lined with silver thread. Gylfi had to admit, she was fairly attractive, if not for the arrogant way she looked down at them all. Then Nadine Sadovsky, who he found quite amusing. She was a bristling night predator, with her spiky hair and brown eyes.

Elias inclined his head to them. "Ladies." Neither was impressed by his charms.

"First we go to the stables," Regina announced in a drawl, as if it was obvious. They followed her to the wooden pens, and found a black carriage waiting outside.

"What's this?" Elias folded his arms.

"A carriage. Maybe you've heard of them." Regina tossed her hair.

"I mean, what is it doing here?"

"It's our mode of transportation."

"So we are not riding on horseback? Surely this way is slower? We can travel at speed with horses."

"I am the most important girl in this country." I doubt that, Gylfi thought. "If someone sees me riding out of Arkanovsk, what do you think will happen when word spreads? Assassination attempts? Worse? This is only temporary. Once we reach a more isolated area, we will leave the carriage and ride. Now hurry up and help me lead the horses out of the stables."

"You're acting a little fidgety," Gylfi couldn't help but comment as they each took the reins of a horse, "had a fight with daddy?"

"Keep moving, pirate." She shoved him towards the carriage in response.

"You've touched a nerve," Nadine muttered in his ear as she passed. Gylfi couldn't stop a grin.

They attached the horses to the carriage and turned to Regina. Gylfi hated that already, they were looking to her for orders. Orders! From a Ravennan! Just wait until we get onboard my boat...

Regina pointed at Elias. "You. Drive. And you, thief – you hold the map and tell him where to go." Both of their faces changed in their anger at the way she addressed her, but clambered up to the driving seat.

Regina climbed gracefully into the carriage. Gylfi followed. "Just you and me alone together, then, eh?" he said, winking at her. She glared back, sitting primly on a velvet-padded seat with her hands clasped. Gylfi sat opposite. The carriage gave a jolt, and began to move.

Gylfi peered out of the window, curious despite himself, as they moved through the gates and into the city. Once the city streets all started to look the same and he lost interest, he studied the politician's daughter, flashing her a charming grin every so often. Her features remained stony, and Gylfi felt slightly nettled that his good looks didn't seem to affect her. Her hair was chestnut and sleek as it laid over her shoulders, framing a pale, heart-shaped face. Along with her eyes, she reminded Gylfi slightly of an owl.