Chapter 5

Nadine's horse bolted.

One minute, she was staring into the cold eyes of one of the thugs who looked to come from the San Myaku Mountains. Then her horse was out of control, flying off the path and plunging through undergrowth.

Nadine wrestled with the reins, breathlessly trying to control it, but the animal was wild with terror, its eyes rolling. She flung herself against its neck as arrows flew past her, cheek pressed against the horse's sweaty hide, the tang of its smell in her nose. She was helpless as it carried her further away from her companions. All she'd seen, in that last moment, was Elias wielding both scimitars as if he hoped to single-handedly cut down the entire gang.

Nadine's horse skidded to a sudden halt, and Nadine fell from its back. She hit the ground hard, pain flaring in her side. Slowly, she pushed herself up. Wild forest surrounded her. In front of her, she saw the reason the horse had stopped: its path was blocked by a wide river. She tried to slow her breathing. Think. Think. Did she go back, see if she could help the others without getting herself killed? Or... run for it? Now might be her chance of deserting the mission.

But then she'd be a wanted woman. And Gavriil was still sick.

She sucked cold night air into her lungs. Then she spun around. Someone was crashing noisily through the undergrowth – heading for her.

She grabbed the horse's reins and dragged it behind a cluster of rocks, tying it to a jutting tree root. Then she skidded down the rocky bank of the river. Gritting her teeth, she plunged in. The water was icy and instantly weighed her clothes down. A shudder went through her, but she let the current tug her along, before clawing herself to a halt beneath a mound of red earth on the bank that – hopefully – blocked her from view. The current pushed her boots against the rocks that made up the riverbed, and she placed numb hands on the earth in front of her. Grit had already collected under her fingernails.

She tried not to breathe too loudly. Every muscle tensed. She heard footsteps. If they saw the horse... They'd either suspect her of hiding, or they'd take it and leave. She pressed closer against the bank, submerging herself up to her chin. The stink of river water invaded her nostrils, muddy and cold.

Feet crunched the earth above her. She froze as little bits of soil broke away and trickled between her hands. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a flash of metal.

Someone jumped off the bank and into the river – sailing over her head and landing behind her with a splash. Nadine tried to scream but a hand clamped over her nose and mouth, suffocating her. She lashed out blindly, pulled backwards and pressed against a body – before a familiar accent, harsh with whispering, reached her ears.

"Stop struggling and follow me. Do not make a sound."

Elias's hand released her. Nadine wheezed, but saw him already striking out for a clump of reeds. She followed, blood pounding through her capillaries. They pushed the long stems aside, low in the water, suddenly concealed. Elias's hand gripped her upper arm so tightly it hurt.

They are coming, he mouthed, eyes glassy as they reflected moonlight from above.

Nadine pressed against him in spite of herself, wondering if she'd get a blade drawn across her throat but too scared of their assailants to do otherwise. They were stomping through the undergrowth now, hacking at any plants blocking their way, speaking in an unfamiliar language.

Their voices drifted closer. Nadine didn't trust herself to move lest she splash the water. The river gurgled as if it were trying to give them away. Slowly, Elias moved a hand to the scimitar he had strapped on his back.