Chapter 33

Regina dived into the tent as the battle raged around her. She was more terrified than she'd ever been in her whole life. Her heart had either stopped or was beating as fast as a hummingbird's wings – she couldn't tell. Her hands shook as she tied her hair out of the way. Her guards had been occupied as the shrikes fought them, and she'd already lost sight of her father.

Her father. The pain in her friends' faces when she'd walked to him had been enough to tear her heart in two. But she knew she'd had no choice. What had they expected Kostin to say when he saw her seated with them?

Regina scanned the inside of the blue tent. Feeling foolish, she strapped a discarded sword onto her belt and holstered two pistols. I shouldn't be doing this. But she peered out at the mass of destruction around her. Above it all, Svetlana's dragon was a pale spectre. Regina's courage failed her. Now what do I do? She took a deep breath and lunged out of the tent's cover, dodging the fighting men as she made for one of the tents on the edge. She needed to escape the fight to collect her thoughts.

Blue light flared in front of her and Regina cried out, skidding to a halt and leaping backwards. Heat burned her face and sparks landed on her clothes – she dropped to the floor and rolled, gasping for air as smoke swirled around her.

A ghostly figure emerged from the fire. Svetlana had left her dragon behind, and wielded two daggers. "You're his daughter," she breathed. "You will make a fine hostage."

"No!" Regina choked, jumping up. Her eyes narrowed. This was the first time she'd seen the woman up close. With her pure white hair and pale skin, she reminded Regina of... of...

For years, Regina had been plagued by nightmares. After her mother's death, she'd had endless terrible dreams of a pale woman who had killed her. Regina had assumed that the 'White Lady' was just a figment of her imagination. But she had haunted her ever since.

She unsheathed her sword. "You."

Svetlana's smile grew. "Yes."

Regina let out a roar and charged, hot rage blinding her. She swung the sword, aiming for Svetlana's neck, because for the first time in her life she wanted to kill. She wanted to see Svetlana's lifeblood spilt around her.

Svetlana darted to the side and blocked the blow with both daggers. Metal shrieked on metal as the sword slid against the blades. Regina's arms trembled – they felt like water, but she forced herself to push forwards.

Svetlana swung a dagger free, and Regina cried out as it bit into her arm. She dropped the sword and collapsed.

Svetlana cackled. "Your mother put up more of a fight." She pinned Regina down – she couldn't breathe – and angled a dagger at her face. "Kostin told me to do it, you know, because your mother was beginning to oppose his choices. I jumped at the chance – I had been jealous of her for years. I loved your father, once. But he never chose me." Her face twisted, the beauty turned terrible by her malice. "You saw me fleeing the Palace. You were a tiny thing."

Regina let out a sound – she wasn't sure whether it was a scream or not. Cold metal touched her face and she thrashed, fire boiling her blood, wishing she was strong enough to escape, to cause Svetlana pain –

"She was good and you slaughtered her!" Her throat tore with pain.

"Good? She stole Kostin from me! I could have ruled with him, helping him, but no." Svetlana's lip curled. "You look just like her. How do you want to die, princess? Shall I start with your face?" The knife cut, drawing blood along her cheek. Regina felt the pain sear and started to scream.

"Father!"

"He won't come to save you! No one will!" Svetlana hissed. "You're helpless."

Regina kicked her legs. The pain was growing. Svetlana used her other dagger to dig into her injured arm, twisting the blade.