5

It took a few twists and turns to get down to the galley. Stepping inside, I confirmed that the galley was, in fact, code-name for kitchen.

"What can I get fer ye, Cap'n?" came a gruff voice from the corner. I turned my head to find a stout little man wearing some sort of apron over his round belly. It didn't take much to deduce that he was the cook.

He wore a bandanna over his head, pulling his graying hair out of his face. He had a bit of scruff covering his cheeks and chin. A scar ran down the right side of his face and I was amazed by how well these people put on their act.

"Just something that'll go down easy for the lass," the man next to me replied. Looking down at me, he added, "Some stew will probably do."

"Aye, Cap'n," the cook replied, immediately moving to complete the task.

I noticed how he, like the boy, had also studiously avoided my gaze. A tug on my arm pulled me from my thoughts and I found that Jeremiah was pulling me to a table on the opposite side of the room.

It resembled some sort of booth, with wooden benches wrapped along three of the four sides. The fourth side sported a couple of barrels for additional seating. I was relieved to be off of my weak limbs.

Taking another glance around, I absentmindedly stated, "Wow, you guys are really into this, aren't you?"

Jeremiah cocked his brow, "What are you going on about now?"

"This," I waved around at the space, indicating the pirate act in general.

Jeremiah looked confused but held his tongue regardless.

After a few moments of silence, I decided to pick up the conversation again, "So, you said your name was Jeremiah, right?"

He leaned back in his seat and replied, "Aye, but I prefer Jay. Jeremiah was my father." I nodded before he spoke again, "And you're Elizabeth?"

"Yep, that's me." I smiled a bit.

He blinked a few times before continuing, "So how did you come to be on my ship, Elizabeth?" he asked just as the cook placed a steaming bowl in front of me. It was accompanied by a few small pieces of bread.

I shakily lifted the spoon to my lips and blew on the steaming liquid. It felt good to have a little food in my stomach again.

After a few more bites, I cleared my throat, realizing that Jay was watching me eat, making me feel slightly uncomfortable. I decided to tell him my story, "I fell overboard during the last storm. Everyone on board was uncharacteristically drunk so I was one of the only ones still trying to help Danny bring us out of the storm. The anchor wrapped around my ankle and drug me to the bottom of the ocean. Luckily, I was able to free myself before it could drag me any deeper than it did. I don't remember reaching the surface, but I must have if your guys found me."

I looked up to see that Jay had a hand on his chin, studying me with stunning green eyes. Finally, he spoke, "We haven't encountered a storm for nigh on a fortnight. If what you say is true, then you should be dead."

I furrowed my brow, "How is that possible?" I looked back up to see the captain staring at me again, "Maybe you just weren't close enough to the storm to see it."

"Perhaps," he mumbled as I took another bite.

"Hey," I looked up at him again, "How far are we from the mainland?"

"We're about three days out from the Barbary Coast," he replied, "We plan to restock there before continuing on our journey."

The spoon fell back into the bowl with a tiny splash.

"The Barbary Coast?" I asked worriedly, "As in Africa?"

"Aye," he responded, watching my every movement.

I abruptly stood and began to pace, a bad habit of mine. I ran my fingers through my hair while trying to contain my panic, "Man, my mother is probably worried sick," I turned back to Jay, "Do you happen to have a phone?"

He furrowed his brow and stood slowly, watching me like I was some sort of wild animal.

"What is this 'phone' you speak of. Why aren't you making any sense?" he continued watching me as I paced, "And why the hell do you talk like that?"

I stopped and turned to look at him, standing a good few inches taller than myself. His eyes were wide with true confusion.

I looked around at my surroundings again, then down at my clothes, then to Jay and his tricorn hat. A sudden revelation hit me and made my heart spur to life.

It was impossible. It couldn't be true, yet looking up at Jay, my brain was having a hard time coming up with any other possibility.

"What year is it?" I asked under my breath, staring off at one of the walls.

Jay grabbed my shoulders and shook me a little, forcing me to meet his eyes, "Did you hit your head or something? Is that what this is all about?"

"Please, just, answer the question." I replied, my voice shaking with terror.

Jay released me and took a step back, "1779."

My mouth slid open in disbelief as I slowly lowered myself back into my seat. It was impossible. Had I really?

I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked back up to the man standing above me. He was staring at me like I was crazy. I tried to speak, but no sound came out of my mouth.

Finally, I was able to mutter a few words, "I should probably get some more rest."

Jay let out a heavy sigh, turning to look down the other end of the kitchen. He nodded and held out his hand to pull me to my feet.

"Did you need some assistance finding your way back?"

I nodded and looped my arm in his again. It felt like walking in a dream. I didn't feel like I was moving at all until I was standing outside the door to my room. I quickly thanked Jay before slipping inside and closing the door.

Then the events of the past few hours came pressing down on me like a crashing wave.

How did this happen? How had I gone back in time? How do I get back to my family? What am I supposed to do?