BONUS Chapter L/R

A/N

Guys! A Pirate in Time is officially in the top 10 for Historical Fiction! It was ranked #7 today, so I'm giving you all a bonus chapter for being so amazing!

-Megan

-----+------+-----

Liam and Rose: The Deathly Duo

I hid beneath the eaves of a seamstress's cottage as thunderous rain poured down from the heavens. It did not do much to stop the rain from finding me, however. Despite my best efforts, I was thoroughly soaked.

I pulled my coat tighter around me and tilted my head so that my tricorn shielded my eyes from the tortuous downpour. My interest did not lie in the seamstress's cottage. No. It was in the pub across the street, where the far from melodious laughter of drunken sea and land men alike drifted out into the empty street.

I watched and waited, hidden by the shadowed night as I searched for a signal from my brother.

We were hunting down a man by the name of Elwood Smith, a retired privateer who currently owed the crew of the Black Ness quite a lot of coin. Unfortunately, he seemed to be spending it all on whiskey and other assorted spirits.

Liam forbade me from entering the pub, so I was to wait here until he found and dragged that stealing piece of drunken scum out into the fresh mud. Then I'd make him cough up what he owed us.

Approaching footsteps made me duck behind the seamstress's horse cart. As I peered around the edge, I cursed at what I saw.

Redcoats, quite a lot of Redcoats, might I add, all heading straight towards the pub.

I cursed again and ducked lower, turning on my heel to watch as they entered.

I sure hoped Liam was near the back door, else he might be recognized before he could slip away.

Crouched in the pouring rain, I again watched and waited.

The laughter stopped, as did the faint music from inside. Not knowing what was happening in there was slowly killing me, one aching second at a time.

Then there was a crash, the shattering of glass, and a sharp cry of "Arrest him!" I clenched my jaw and listened to the thud of boots as the Redcoats tried to catch the accused man. I really hoped it wasn't Liam.

The pub door burst open, and sure enough, my brother came flying out. He stumbled down the front steps, and before he could regain his balance, a pair of Redcoats dove outside and tackled him to the ground.

I watched in slight amusement as they pressed his face into the mud and attached a pair of shackles to his wrists. Once they had clicked shut, Liam was hauled to his feet and surrounded by Redcoats.

"Congratulations, Mr. Black," one of them sneered, "You have an appointment with the gallows at dawn."

"Funny," he said in a lighthearted tone. "This is my third one this month. Perhaps I should start writing them on my schedule."

The only reason Liam was being calm was because he knew I would figure out a way to break him out before then. I always did. Not that it was easy or anything. Each time I had to become a little bit cleverer. The British had been upping their security lately, so breaking my brother out of another cell wasn't nearly as easy as it sounded.

I ran a hand over my face and looked around for something to help me. In order to get to the cells, I needed to be alone with a Redcoat, and the only way I could be alone with a Redcoat was if they trusted me enough to let me into the cells with only one escort. That meant that I needed a dress. If I walked in there looking like a pirate, then they would surely arrest me.