8

The next day, I decided to go topside again.

The sky was as blue as a robin's egg and white wisps were the only things to fragment the vast horizon. A gentle breeze filled the sails and ensured that the sun did not become too hot as it brushed past my skin. It was a beautiful day.

It did not take me long to spot Jay. He was not at the helm as I expected, but tying rigging in the nearest mast. He was about mid way up, but that was still much farther than I'd ever wish to go.

Having nothing better to do, I walked over to the nearest barrel and plopped down onto it. I might as well get comfortable and enjoy my time in the sun while it lasted. I'd been in that cramped little room for entirely to long.

Silently, I slipped off my boots and wiggled my toes around in the fresh air.

If I closed my eyes, I could almost remember what it was like to sail with my father. My first time on a boat, I'd been terrified of the ocean, but it was my father's voice that persuaded me to trust in the sea.

On many nights, it had been the rhythmic churning of the sea that had rocked me to sleep in the cabin below deck. The soft sound of the waves breaking against the boat had always soothed me.

But the memories of my father just reminded me of home, and how much I missed it.

I sighed as I thought about my parent's faces in my dream. I hoped they were doing alright. I can't even imagine what they're going through.

I opened my eyes and tried to focus on other things. I watched the men do their work, but my mind was still drifting off to images of my previous life. I kept thinking of the friends I'd probably never see again, the wasted scholarships I'd worked so hard to earn, the job I left behind, and my family.

It's funny to think about how much I took for granted, and now, when all that's been ripped away, I can finally see how much it all meant to me.

Salacia made it sound like this life was irreversible. Maybe not the life of a pirate, but this life, here, in this time. I would never get to go back to my family because of some tragic fate, and that truly scared me.

I was so caught up in my gloomy train of thought that I hadn't noticed a young boy approach me.

"Are you alright, Miss?" he rung his cap in his hands as he looked at me. He seemed hesitant to talk to me, but pressed forward none the less.

I looked up and nodded a bit, "I'm just thinking about my family."

He must've seen the sadness in my face deepen because he came and sat on the barrel next to me.

"Never had one of them," he said softly, not even trying to meet my eye.

My heart clenched for the boy. He seemed so young and innocent. He should be at home, climbing trees and tormenting his parents, not working on a pirate ship. I gave him a small smile, realizing that my problems were only minuscule as compared to others.

"Thomas, right?"

He nodded and placed his cap on his head again, shielding his eyes from the sun.

"Sorry again for running into you the other day. I'm a total klutz," I said without thinking.

"What's that?" he asked confusedly. I forgot they speak a bit differently in this time period. Curse me and my 21st century slang.

I quickly tried to explain myself, "It means I'm a bit clumsy. I could try to blame it on my sea legs, but that would be dishonest."

Thomas shrugged, "No need to be apologizing, Miss."

We fell into a silence after that. We wordlessly watched the men do their work with our hands folded in our laps. As I watched them scurry about, a thought came to mind.

"Hey, Thomas?"

"Yes, Miss?"

"Why does everyone seem so afraid of me. I think yourself and the Captain are the only ones I've spoken to since I was rescued."

The boy laughed a bit, "They be not scared a you, Miss. It's the Cap'n they be weary of. You's strictly not to be harmed whilst under his protection," he explained, "Well that and it be bad luck havin' a woman on board. They's all seem to think you've doomed this voyage."

I raised a brow at this new information, "And has there been any bad luck?"

The boy thought for a moment, "Well, the sails seemed to be havin' troubles catchin' a few days back. And old Jenkins blames you for his loss of coin back in port."

I frowned slightly and nodded my head in understanding. At least now I knew why I was so unapproachable.

Thomas's head jerked up and he made a hurry to leave, "I should be gettin' back to work, Miss."

I watched him scurry off quickly before turning my head to see what scared him off. The Captain was approaching.

"How are you faring today, Elizabeth?" he asked as he stepped up to the railing to my right. He rested his hands on it as he stared out into the open sea.

"Much better, thank you," I replied politely, "And you?"

He didn't look at me, but shrugged, "I am well."

I nodded my head as I watched the men work some more.

"Captain?" Jay turned his head to look at me, "If you ever need an extra pair of hands, I'd be happy to help. I'm afraid I feel a bit useless having nothing to do all day."

Jay raised a brow, "You actually want to work?"

"If I am needed, yes."

Jay laughed at that, "You are a woman, Elizabeth. A ship full of pirates is not the best place of employment for a lady such as yourself. Besides, you do not need to work. I have plenty of men."

I sighed. At least I tried. It was just so boring most of the time. There's not much to do on a ship in the middle of the ocean.

"What am I to do with my spare time then?" I voiced my concerns.

The Captain shrugs, "Whatever you see fit. Just don't get yourself into any trouble."

After that, Jay and I fell into a conversation. He explained some of the terminology that comes with sailing a ship, and I gave some reigned back answers about how I ended up at sea. I made up some story about being a maid for some lady that died. I boarded a ship in search of adventure and new opportunities and this is where I ended up so far.

Hopefully he believed it. Only time would tell.