Loose Ends

Damon sat at the bar of the Mystic Grill with an empty glass in hand. "Fill her up," he slurred to the bartender.

"Make that two," a British voice sounded from behind her. Klaus sat on the stool next to Damon.

"What is this, Kate's crappy dads club?" Damon joked. Klaus laughed.

"It would seem like it. I heard that Kol paid you a visit."

"If that's what you want to call it. He asked for my permission to ask Kate out."

"Well, that sounds like Kol. He always was strange when it came to Kate."

"Strange seems to cover it. Kate turned him down, though."

"I can't blame the girl. After all, Kol did try to kill her."

"Mind if I join?" a voice chirped from behind. Both Damon and Klaus turned to face Katherine Pierce. All of the blood drained from Damon's face.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he snarled.

"Don't worry, Damon. I'll be gone by tonight. I just had some unfinished business to take care of."

For a little while, Damon ignored her. Then, he realized what she meant. "Kate."

Meanwhile, Kate walked down the streets of downtown Mystic Falls. "Hey!" someone called from behind. Kate turned around to see a guy running towards her. "Are you Kate?" he asked, running out of breath.

"Depends on who's asking."

"You dropped your wallet," he explained, holding out Kate's wallet. She felt like an idiot and reached for the wallet. Suddenly, he had gripped her arm and sped into an alley. He had her pinned to a wall.

"Who the hell are you?" she spit. He shoved his hand into her chest, reaching for her heart.

"Katherine doesn't like loose ends. She sent me to make sure that you were taken care of. Frankly, I expected you to put up more of a fight."

Kate froze out of fear of him ripping her heart out and out of fear of Katherine. Ever since she compelled Genivive to kill Kate, Kate was terrified of what she'd do.

Suddenly, the guy's head flew off of his body. His corpse fell to the ground, and his hand was jerked out of Jake's chest. Kol stood there with a bloody arm. He looked genuinely scared. "Are you okay?" he asked. Before she could stop it, tears started streaming down her face. Kol pulled her into his arms and held her.

Kol held Kate in his arms and rocked her back and forth. He'd just saved her from being drained by one of Klaus's vampire minions. Kol looked at her neck. It was still bleeding. He felt his fangs coming out. He felt the craving of wanting to finish the job.

Then he listened to her sobs. The sounds of the girl he loved crying brought him back to reality. It even sent tears down his own face.

With tears clouding his vision, he pulled Kate back so she was looking him in the eyes. "Love," he whispered, "I need you to forget this, all of this."

Kol grimmaced at the flashback. That moment was when Kate finally started to see him as more than a friend, but she couldn't remember it.

Kate suddenly realized her situation. She jerked away from Kol's grasp and shook her head before speeding off into the night.