Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 2

I decided to spar with Athena to refresh my memory and make sure my skill in battle was still present. What the dark goddess had said had shaken me deeply because I knew it to be true. I had seen Zeus' wandering eyes, and the tight, worried expressions that crossed my siblings' faces. They knew he was going to try to take me, but they could do nothing about it. He was our father, the king of all the gods, and his will was not easily disobeyed without dire consequences.

I had seen the damage Zeus could do to an immortal goddess. I had seen my mother, how she looked at me, how her mental wounds still hadn't healed. I was not going to let it happen willingly. I would be ready.

Visiting my mother was beginning to appeal to me more than it usually did. The mortal world would put some distance between me and my father, and I hoped his eyes would wander elsewhere while I was away.

I never learned the mysterious goddess' name, which bothered me. She left soon after her warning, and I nearly ran to my temple, though I knew it wouldn't offer me any protection. Long into the night, I eventually succumbed to sleep, and it wasn't Zeus that haunted my dreams, but her.

I didn't dare ask anyone. They would want to know what we talked about and my words had crossed the lines of blasphemy, so I held my tongue and continued about my day, the events of the previous night still weighing heavily on my mind.

Shaking my head clear, I circled around Athena with newfound concentration. I could tell she had held off an attack because she noticed I wasn't paying attention. She nodded to make sure I was back in the present, and I nodded back to her.

Athena lunged at me with her sword and I blocked it with my shield, stepping out of the way and bracing my arm for the force. She left herself vulnerable with such an aggressive attack. I swung my sword to her neck, pausing just before it reached her, and almost smiled at my victory. Her eyes glanced down and I saw her second short sword at my side. We both withdrew from the tie.

Sweat drenched my short chiton and the fabric clung to my thighs. The hair that had fallen out of its knot was plastered to the back of my neck. We had been sparring for a while and it was midday in late summer, entirely too hot. I set my weapons down to greedily drink from a water skin.

"You haven't forgotten much. That's very good." Athena smiled, sheathing her weapons at her side.

I caught my breath and wiped my brow, squinting at the sun in annoyance. "Women cannot afford to forget how to protect themselves."

Artemis, watching us from the shade and waiting until we could start archery practice, commented. "That's certainly very true." She held up a bow for me. "Are you ready?"

"No." I walked over to her and collapsed in the shade, taking the bow from her and setting it beside me. "Give me a moment to rest. I am not used to fighting as the both of you are, and it's so hot, I feel like death himself is coming to get me."

They laughed at my joke while I took off my chiton and lay in the grass as the breeze cooled me. All around my naked body, wildflowers bloomed. I picked them and wove them into a flower crown, handing it to Artemis, who accepted it happily. She was never one for jewelry or metal armor, favoring skins she could move easily in, but I knew she'd like the flower crown.

"When are you leaving, Athena?" I asked absently, making conversation.

"I think I'll leave when you do. I came home to catch you before you left. My vacation shouldn't be longer than necessary."

"That's fair. Mother should be calling on me within another day or so."

Athena looked at me strangely. "Yes, I know, Persephone. We spoke of this yesterday."