Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 8

"Okay," I started, panting as I doubled over and rested my hands on my knees. "If I win this one, you have to abandon your duties for an entire day and take me somewhere interesting."

"And what would you like to do if I win?" Hades laughed breathlessly, the sound echoing around the training room that was hidden in the depths of the palace.

There were a lot of things I'd like to do with Hades, or to Hades, but I didn't dare say that. "That's entirely up to you."

Hades thought for a moment and watched me, taking in my sweaty and tired appearance. "You'll have to accompany me with my duties and see how positively boring it is."

"That's more than fair."

I didn't know what I had originally expected of Hades' fighting abilities, but she was nearly as well-trained as Athena. We had been sparring for several hours and I was exhausted, though I had bested or tied with Hades several times.

Lately, I had taken to spending as much time with Hades as was possible, because I was able to dismiss Daeira with little argument. Though I had certainly grown to like Daeira, there was only so much constant supervision I could take. She reminded me of what a mortal mother would be like, how she watched over me and scolded me when I engaged in risky behavior.

She absolutely hated it when I played with fire in the fireplaces or torches, but there was nothing she could do except watch in horror and fear that I would burn the palace down, though I assured her most of it was made of stone and I doubted the fire would do much of anything.

I had gained even more control since the day in Hades' bedroom and I could now make fire depictions of people. One of Daeira's favorites was when I would make a flame Markos that would soundlessly yell until his head grew too large and exploded. My favorite was my Hades, which would slowly dance to unheard music and when I was alone, I'd make a miniature of me dance with her.

Every time I saw Hades, my heart somehow fluttered and ached at the same time. I had grown so attached to her, hung on her every word and movement, and I was acutely aware of how irrational it was. Guilt haunted me every time I woke up in the middle of the night after a dream of her because I thought she deserved better than to be thought of in such a way.

Hades offered me a cup of water that pulled me from the increasingly depressing thoughts while we rested before the final match. While it was tempting to pour it directly onto my chest, I resigned myself to drinking it like a dignified person.

"You fight a lot better than I thought you would, Persephone. Athena must have been rigorous with her training."

I laughed, thinking back to all the early mornings and late nights with Athena guiding my limbs into proper formations and stances, her determination and patience as she had to show me the forms again and again, and how once I was old enough, she finally fought with me. "Yes, you could say that. She did not always make it easy for me."

"It's worth it, though. It brings me joy knowing you can defend yourself should the need ever arise. I hope it doesn't and that you can stay safe here, with me, forever." Hades turned away before she finished, her voice quiet.

"Forever?" I echoed, her words bringing a glimmer of hope for my lost cause. "You know, Daeira once asked me if I would ever leave if given the chance for it to be safe."

"What did you say?"

"What do you think I said? I could never leave this place, not forever. I care for you too much to do such a thing, as well as the rest of your family."

"Our family," Hades corrected quickly.

I didn't bother arguing with her. Regardless of what she thought, I was still just a guest, and my time in the Underworld, nearing two months, only proved my point.