Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 6

"Are you feeling any better yet?" Hades asked when we entered her rooms, which were actually a collection of suites that could easily house a large family of mortal royalty. She trailed into her bedroom and sat down in front of a desk and mirror, taking off her crown and shaking out her hair. With only a point of her finger, a fire erupted in her fireplace and began to warm the room.

I didn't know whether to be transfixed by the sight of the balcony overlooking a waterfall, the size of Hades' canopied bed, or the sight of Hades running her fingers through the black locks before answering. "A little, actually."

"This probably won't make you feel any better, but it was probably Achlys causing you to feel like that." Hades watched me in the mirror as she took off her other jewelry.

"What do you mean?"

"She is the goddess of misery and sadness. Just like you can't help when you grow flowers around you, she can't help how her presence brings about negative feelings."

I frowned. "The others seemed fine."

"It's because we've grown used to it. We just ignore them."

My frown increased. It was just another reason I was so different from them.

"I'm sorry." She rose from her seat gracefully but looked like she debated approaching me. "I can see I've only made it worse."

"No, it's not you, Hades. I don't think it could ever be you." I sighed and bit my tongue at my remark and how she would take it.

She entered a room lined with clothing and turned her back to me as she started unclipping her himation. I could hear the plink, plink, plink as she dropped the fibulae in a dish and began to slip out of her peplos. I saw the flash of her pale back before I turned away, the blood draining from my face.

I shouldn't care about her skin, about seeing her without clothing, because it was commonplace in Olympus. Regardless, it felt different with Hades. I was in turmoil with guilt about my dreams and thoughts of her. I cleared my throat lightly, in some vague attempt to dispel my thoughts or get rid of the knot in my throat, I didn't know.

Hades came back in a simple black peplos, her shoulders and arms bare. "I make a terrible god of riches, don't I? I hate the costumes, the jewelry. It's all for show."

I said nothing.

She looked away from me and sat on a settee. "Please, sit with me, Persephone. I'm terrible for not offering sooner."

How could I refuse? I sat with her, but I still couldn't trust myself to speak, not after my last remark she decided not to reply to.

She brushed a lock of hair off my shoulder and I tensed. "Persephone, I don't like seeing you upset. It's the last thing I want."

"It's not your fault. It's just... me. I swear."

"You are different from us. You know that and we know that. You don't have to be like us to be accepted. You don't have to change. In fact, I think you're wonderful as you are."

"Thank you."

"You will feel much better once Achlys' effect wears off. It was thoughtless of them to not warn you. I'll speak to them." Hades paused and leaned back to chuckle to herself. "The look on your face when they wanted you to stay longer. I have to agree, they can be overbearing. I take it that socializing isn't your favorite activity?"

"No, not at all." I shook my head. "The Olympians are all about parties and gatherings that involve drinking for just about any occasion you could possibly think of. I hated all of it and although I enjoy being around Hecate and the others, I can't stand wasting time with idle talk. Particularly because it reminds me of Olympus, which is something I'd rather forget right now. "