Chapter 40: The Beast is the Last Resort

Chapter 40:

The Beast is the Last Resort

I ran as fast as I could to my dorm room as everywhere was locked up and many guards were around just in case day class students left during the night. I needed to get to a phone and fast!

   I struggled with the key as I was shaking and I could hear footsteps behind me. Asuna and Yuuki were following.

   I opened the door and ran to the room’s home phone and snatched it from its docking station and punched in the numbers. I had to start again a few times because in my shock, I pushed in the wrong numbers. “Yuna!” Yuuki said skipping past Asuna who stood in the doorway. “Hang on a moment! What will you do if your Mum’s in trouble?” She said in a husky, hasty tone. I looked up at her with smoky eyes which stung.

   I thought for a moment glancing at the floor and slowly dialling in Mum’s home number. “I’ll go home and protect her.” I said after a while. That was my decision.

   “You can’t!” Yuuki cried, “We need you! Without you we won’t win this war! They’ll attack! So many of them and without you…”  Yuuki stopped and sounded as if she was gonna start crying. “Your father will come here too. He has the same abilities as you correct? He’ll wipe out every Vampire on these grounds!”

   “Family is more important to me—sorry.” I said holding the phone to my ear.

   “But Yuna!” Yuuki cried again. I ignored her.

   Mum answered, “He-hello?” She stuttered over the other side.

   I swallowed hard and tried to hold in my tears, “Mum? Are you OK? Has Dad—”

   “Yuna! Oh my God are you alright?! Has your father come to your school? Are you safe?!” She yelled and I pulled away from the phone until her voice went quieter.

   “No Mum, he hasn’t come yet. Has he hurt you?” I asked shaking and holding back some tears of which were trying their hardest to escape my eyes.

   She paused and remained silent.

   “Mum!” I demanded.

   “Look, Yuna, you don’t have to worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

   “No Mum, has he hurt you?!” I asked again in a more serious tone.

   She sighed, “Not as bad as I thought he would’ve…” She said sniffing loudly. The last time I heard her sniff like that was when I was leaving to go to the Academy. She’s been crying.

   “What did you think he’d do?” I asked, afraid of the answer.

   “I thought he’d—he’d kill me.” She said in all honesty.

   I began to freak out a bit, “WHAT?! MUM I’M COMING HOME NOW!” I yelled and started glancing around the room for my wheelie suit case.

   “No!” She yelled back, “Don’t you dare! You’ll bump into him on the journey for sure. He’s coming to the school because… because of me.”

   I looked puzzled at Yuuki and Asuna; they could only hear one half of the conversation so they were trying so hard to work out what Mum was saying. “What do you mean it’s because of you?” I asked.

   She sighed again, “I’m so sorry. I told your father while he was still locked up that you wanted to go to Cross Academy. He said he didn’t want you going but I ignored him. After you had left I told him again and he was furious with me. I don’t know why but he said he’d go to your school. I think he wants to hurt everyone who goes to your school and I don’t even know why. He says the Academy is a dreadful school.” She replied.