Chapter 6: Rejecting to Forget

Chapter 6:

Rejecting to Forget

As I began to reach more consciousness, I noticed a female like figure watching over me. I smiled as I knew that was Asuna of all people.

   I glanced around the room I was in. I was in the sickbay and in a white bed, Asuna sitting on the end of it. She grinned when she noticed me finally opening my eyes for a long time.

   “Oh my God! Yuna! Don’t ever do that again! You scared me so much!” She cried as she began to squeeze me in her arms. I cried out in pain as I was still dealing with injuries. “Oh… sorry. You were asleep for 3 hours!” She gasped those words. I nodded as if I understood her. My mind was still fuzzy and I still couldn’t get over the fact that the night class students were Vampires. I knew I couldn’t tell anyone… if everyone knew then I probably would’ve been told by Asuna or someone, even the Dean could’ve mentioned it… There must’ve been a reason no one told…  Not many people must know…

   “Yuna?” Asuna looked at me with a worried look. I was concentrating and I soon snapped out of it and glanced up at her. “Yuna, are you sure you’re OK?” I nodded.

   “Yeah I’m fine. Just thinking.” I said as she sighed. There was a knock at the door and Asuna quickly looked in its direction. It slowly opened and revealed Kaname Kuran standing in the doorway—behind him being Shiki. I was happy to see him.

   “Miss Yuna, are you feeling well?” Kaname asked in a formal voice. He glanced at Asuna and she understood he wanted to talk with me in private. She quickly skipped out of the room and closed the door without a word. Shiki stayed by the door.

   “Um, yeah I’m OK, really.” I smiled at him but my face still hurt. “I’m just a bit dizzy. What are you doing here?” I asked glancing at both of them confused.

   “Senri insisted we visit you to see if you were OK.” I looked at Shiki with a smile, my face flushing up at the thought he cared for me. He just stared at me with a blank face—like he always does.

   “Right… I need to talk to guys too. So,” I cleared my throat. I wanted to tell them I knew they were Vampires but also knew they’d erase my memory again. Maybe it was for the best—I was never good with keeping secrets anyway, whether it was for surprise parties or gifts for people. I was so clumsy when it came to something like that. “You remember that night when Shiki showed me around and we met up with you Kaname? Well funny story; you’re a Vampire. Ha-ha!” I started to laugh as if it was a really funny joke—I guess I thought it would be a good way to defuse the tension… bad idea!

   Kaname glared at me with his eyes large and red; Shiki’s mouth wide open and he quickly came to stand next to me. “How did you—” he began before I interrupted.

   “When that girl hit me I remembered. It’s not a big deal though right… But now I know why the night class is separated from the day class. It’s strange because I never even thought for a second, Vampires could exist. You’ve really brought back those creepy beliefs of mine.” I grinned at them and waited for their reactions. I knew they were gonna try and erase my memory.

   “Will you tell?” Shiki asked a few moments later. Kaname hit his arm gently.

   “Senri!” He gasped and shook his head. I nodded in the direction of Shiki. I knew this would be a big secret to handle but I realized I don’t really wanna lose my memory again. I would love to remember.

   “I will, if you let me Lord Kaname.” I spoke those words in a deep voice. Kaname looked at me as if someone insulted him. “OK… no jokes now…” I murmured quietly.

   “I’m sorry, Yamazaki. We can’t afford to let the secret of our existence become clear to all humans. If one human believes this, another will soon too. I’m sorry.” Kaname lifted his hand up over my face. I nodded and closed my eyes. Oh well, I thought, I guess I’ll wake up in my bed once again and not remember a thing.

   A bright purple light was building up in the palm of Kaname’s hand. It was growing and forming around my forehead. Last time I felt dizzy and sick, right now I was just feeling normal, as if it wasn’t affecting me.

   “Hmm,” Kaname muttered impatiently as he increased the shining light. Shiki stayed back with a sad look on his face. He didn’t want me to forget… neither did I.

   That’s when everything strange started to happen. I felt stronger than usual and I sat up straight—the power was not enough to erase my memory this time. I opened my mind rapidly and didn’t think of anything… it was empty and I suddenly felt the urge to attack. The bright light suddenly grew much bigger—huge! The growth was much taller than Kaname! I then opened my eyes and it rebounded onto Kaname and hit Shiki in the process as well. I cried out and my head flew back onto my pillow. Kaname and Shiki were both taken into the air and thrown against the wall. I was shaking at what I had done—did I do it? What the hell did I do?

   “Argh! Yuna! What…?” Kaname forced himself to stand. He stayed a safe distance from me. Shiki looked shocked but sort of pleased as to my body rejecting to forget.

   I sat up slowly again, Shiki walked slowly over to my side. I glanced up at him. “I’m so sorry… I have no idea what I just did…” I admitted with a grim look. He nodded clutching his arm awkwardly.

   “Yes, it seems your body rejected the powers of Kaname. You are immune.” I gasped and sat back. I’m immune to Vampire powers? Then how come it worked the first time?

   “I’m immune to Vampire powers?” I cried.

   “Only that one power. Who knows if you can release energy like that and force yourself to remain untouched every time someone threatens or abuses you? But that was incredible power… and you’re merely a human—”

   “Um humans are ‘Da Bomb’! They can smash Vampires any day punk!” I cheered as I interrupted Kaname. Shiki shook his head with a chuckle.

   Kaname looked blank at me for a second. I glanced at the wall behind him—two huge giant dents from where they were thrown… the Dean’s gonna kill me. “You are someone different aren’t you?” Kaname admitted but wouldn’t confess I was a powerful person.

   I frowned, “OK, so I’m a witch or something or am I just immune to forgetting?”

   “Your body choses to forget, it’s a lot stronger than Kaname’s magic. I’m quite surprised.” Shiki said as he bent down beside my bed.

   I nodded, Kaname look annoyed. “Look Kaname, there has gotta be another person other than me who’s had their memory taken from them and then remembered, surely! I just might be different too, you know with the whole powers thing but seriously!” I said trying to get his attention. At that moment, Yuuki Cross opened the door.