TAHA

DINAH

What am I doing here?

Wow, such an existential question. But I mean this in the most literal sense of the phrase. What am I doing in Gauteng, South Africa, ready to get a degree?

I think I can answer my own question but I still don't get it. What had gotten into us?

_Flashback_

"Simon, we just need time away from all of this. I feel like everyone is just waiting for one of us to go solo but none of us want that. I don't want that," Lauren tried to explain to Simon and we just gave confirming nods.

We were all sitting at a round table and our parents were present. Simon looked at us before letting out a heavy sigh.

"Girls, you can't just switch this off and throw in the towel whenever you feel like it," Simon shook his head.

"Think about it as balancing the switch between on and off. Also, we aren't throwing in the towel, we are simply laying it down gently so we can pick it up once again later. Right girls?" we agreed harmoniously to Mani's statement.

Simon rubbed his temples before replying, "I don't get why you would want to put your title as world's biggest girl group on the line like that. I'm struggling to wrap my head around it."

I decided to speak up,

"We just want to be more than just pretty faces with amazing voices. Lauren taking philosophy makes so much sense, Julliard needs Mani no doubt, Theatre performance screams Camila and Allycat doing Psychology will bump up her sunshine status by so much," I stopped to let Simon process my words before continuing. "And I just know I'm going to enjoy studying film. We are more than just pretty faces and amazing voices."

"Wow, mama. Way to sell it DJ," Lauren lets out while wiping an imaginary tear.

"Well then, it's settled. Fifth Harmony is on a break for three years then I need you back here to move mountains."

We all stood up and hugged as a group. I was going to miss these girls even though we were going to meet to record songs occasionally.

Me and my girls.

That was a month ago and our fans took the news pretty hard but now they are supporting us fully in our plans. Harmonizers are easily the best people on this planet, I love each and every one of them.

I've just arrived to where I'll be staying during my time here in South Africa. It's a modern style apartment with red and grey walls.

"If you need anything, don't be afraid to call," the landlady said

"If you need anything, don't be afraid to call," the landlady said. She looks friendly with her petite frame, tan skin and light brown hair tucked neatly into a bun.

"Of course, Mrs. Edwards. I'll be sure to call, " the short older woman nodded and left the apartment.

I think I'm going to love it here and hopefully I hope none of us regret leaving it all behind. The 7/27 era was great but it brought a lot of drama and we just need time to calm down from it all. I believe South Africa is going to offer the kind of escapism I long for.

There's no paparazzi following me everywhere and everyone acts pretty normal around me. It's a refreshing feeling just being viewed as Dinah Jane Hansen and not Dinah from Fifth Harmony.

After unpacking most of my things I decide to go to the nearest mall and buy some groceries. Right now I'm in the snack aisle in some shop called Pick n Pay.

"China! Oh my goodness, can I please get a picture! Pleeeease!" a young girl's voice squealed from behind me further down the aisle.

Wait. She isn't talking to me right? Of course not. She said China and I'm not China. Unless... What if South Africans know me as China??? That sounds crazy because she clearly spoke as if this China character has already seen her.

I turned slowly and, you guessed it, I'm not China. By the looks of it, China is famous because the girl who is taking a picture is having a fangirl attack. This is refreshing to see. Someone fangirling to someone else and ignoring my entire existence is oddly amazing. I could get used to this.

"Babygirl, you can't tell anyone you saw me hey. I love you so much for recognising me, even though I tried to hide myself, haha. But remember I'm trying to have a normal life," the girl who I'm assuming is China spoke in a very sweet voice. I just kept looking at the packets of potato chips in order to not bring attention to myself.

"I get it, China. I can't wait for you to graduate though. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I need to go, bye China" the two girls hugged and the fan ran off leaving both China and I as the only ones in the aisle.

"Must be tough being so famous," I said unsure of myself. What if she's mean?

"Yeah, I guess trying to escape the fame would be eas-" the girl's eyes widened as she finally looked up to look at me. "Hey! Do you know who you are?!"

"Uhh...Dinah Jane the last time I checked. And that called you China so hey China," I flashed her a toothy smile and a small wave.

"I have been asking fifth harmony to come do a show in SA but y'all never came through but I did get to see y'all live when I was in America for a while. I'm talking too much, I'll stop."

"Don't. So you're a harmonizer huh?"

"I have been calling myself Finer Dinah's China for the longest time," we both laughed at that and continued talking while shopping.

I found out that she is a well known South African actress and she has been acting ever since she was a child. I also found out that we are going to be attending the same university.

I honestly cannot wait for this journey to begin!

------------------------

Hola chicos! Updates for this story will be slow until I finish my Demi fanfic, which won't be that long. I'm so excited for this story.

Hit me up on any of my social medias:
Twitter: @LovaticLeshilo
IG: petjazana
Kik: AthenaIndigo
Musical.ly: Athenapetjinkie
Dinah Jane insta stan account: writeondinah