CHINA

"It's only this one time and then I swear you won't have to do another interview for another year," my manager pleaded with me. I am so mad at him right now.

"But Paul what part of a hiatus don't you get? I have been in the public's eye since I was three and I'm honestly tired of it all," I took a deep breath and massaged my temples, this whole issue was stressing me out.

It all started years ago when I was part of a local soapie at the age of three. It was a very popular soapie and I was a very powerful character's daughter so the country just grew fond of my character. After the soapie got cancelled, I went ahead and starred in popular South African movies and it all escalated from there. I can't even go out with friends without being attacked by media or fans.

"This interview is meant to be a transition for your fans so that they don't bother you that much during your hiatus. So what do you say?" Paul finishes and looks at me expectantly.

"Okay fine. I hope you're right. Let's get this over with bih,"

This whole thing made me mad because it's just reaffirming the notion that fame can't be switched off. I crave for even the tiniest bit of normalcy like when I met Dinah earlier. None of us had that "I'm famous don't fuck with me" vibe, it was normal and that felt incredible!

"Babe, I like what you're wearing now but we need to change it up a bit. It must say 'I'm on a break and don't give a fuck about the best dressed list' but also 'I came to slay naturally hunty'. So let's go get you ready, "I laughed at my dramatic manager and let him drag me out of the agency building.

~

"South Africa welcome to the biggest celebrity show in the mother land. In studio with us for what might be her last TV appearance for a while, please help me welcome the nineteen year old award winning actress and part time model, China!"

I walked out from the side of the studio and onto the stage. The live audience cheered and clapped as I flashed them a big smile.

"China, it has been a while. How are you today?" the interviewer said. Her name is Pearl and she is so pretty with her tall stature and tanned skin, I have the biggest crush on her.

"Hey Pearl

"Hey Pearl. It's nice to see you again looking good as always. I'm good hey, can't complain," the audience applauded and screamed a bunch of "ooohhs" at a blushing Pearl.

"That's amazing. Now a movie of yours is about to come out soon, care to talk to us a little about that?" the audience cheered again as the poster for my newest movie showed up on the screen.

"Sure, uh Flesh: The Whole Enchilada is set to release next week nationwide and I'm really excited because it's my directorial debut," I paused to allow the audience to cheer once more before continuing. "It's an action comedy and viewers can expect to cry, laugh and scream all at the same time."

"I certainly can't wait to watch it once it's out. Now moving on to the burning question. If you have all of this going for you, why put it on hold?" I sighed knowing that this won't be the last time I hear this question.

I looked over at Paul, who was in the audience, before I replied. "I want my life to be fair. I want the next movies I direct from here on to be because I'm fully qualified and capable of directing an Oscar winning production. I just want a shot at a normal life and for my goals to be accomplished by me in the best way I know how. I hope this answers your question, Pearl."

"It certainly does, China. I wish you all the best in your journey of self-actualization. We are all rooting for you," Pearl stood up to give me a hug and I reciprocated.

"Thank you so much," I wiped a stray tear since this whole situation was making me emo. I can't wait to start this new journey.

The interview continued with a few more questions about the movie and we also played a few games. I had lots of fun with Pearl and the rest of the audience.

Right now I was in my dressing room waiting for Paul to finish on the phone. A slight knock came from the door and I yelled for the person to come in.

"Aye, China. I was hoping to catch you before you left," Pearl said as she walked in and grabbed a seat next to me.

"Well, you have caught me. Wuss good, mama?" I looked at her reflection in the mirror as she bit her bottom lip.

"Nothing much. I just wanted to say that I meant what I said during the show. I am rooting all the way for you and I wish you all the best."

"Thanks, ma. This is the sweetest thing really. I wish you all the best too and I promise to keep in touch," I flashed her a big smile which she returned. What is going on here?

"You can't keep in touch if you don't have my digits. Pass me your phone real quick," I was quick to comply and watched her enter her contact details and send herself a text. She even took a picture of us, with her kissing my cheek, and set it as her contact picture.

"Thanks, I'll be sure to put this to great use."

"You better," we both laughed and got interrupted by Paul walking in.

"Chi we have to go. Oh hey Pearl, I didn't know you were here, " Paul folded his arms with a smirk and I rolled my eyes because that look meant at least a month of an annoying Paul, fml.

"Yeah, I was just leaving," she turned to give me a hug and whispered in my ear. "Don't become a stranger, China." She waved goodbye and we watched her as she left the dressing room.
"The sexual tension between you two makes me want to puke," Paul faked a gag and I gently punched his shoulder.

"Whatever, now get me out of here. I'm so tired," to emphasize my point, a loud yawn escaped my mouth.

"Just because you're an actress doesn't mean you have to be dramatic all the time. Come on, we have a big day tomorrow."

I couldn't wait for tomorrow and to see Dinah. I just cannot believe that we were attending the same university like what are the odds. I'm so ready for this new experience.

--------------------------

Please follow my Dinah instagram stan account @writeondinah :) xx