Chapter 2

*Updated, 2024*
Random, but I just ate something soo deliciouso, if you can guess it - i'll shout you and your story out. ;)  Leave your comment here!
————-

I did not know whether it was the overbearing scent of the pine wood car freshener that made my nose itch, or if it was the awkward tension that hung in the air. One thing was for certain though, the silence echoed off of the luxurious tan leather seats. Sam, ever the maestro of conversation- cleared her throat, disrupting the silence.

"So, Dylan." She shyly smiled, a look underneath her lashes giving me a clear indication of just what they had done over video chat. "This is Jubilee, my oldest and dearest friend." The introduction hung between us, suspended in unspoken anticipation. His gaze met mine, a mysterious glint flickering in those dark green eyes. A smirk curved along his lips, as the car peeled from the curb.

"The infamous Jubilee," A voice like velvety timbre, neither too high nor too low, resonated from him. His eyes flickered from me and towards Sam. The streetlights now becoming a blur outside the window. "Your best friend, right?"

I could see Sam's blonde hair shifting as she nodded from the front seat.

"Yep, that's her." She sighed, causing me to raise a brow.

Just what, had they discussed?

"By the way, can you stop at the gas station really quick?" She asked, her manicured nails finding his forearm as she lightly traced small circles over the planes of his tanned skin. "It's kind of our thing. We like to grab a few snacks before school." Sam jerked her head back to me, where I sat with my hands clasped to one another in the back seat. "This one has an ever-growing appetite." She chuckled, and I could have sworn I detected an undertone of embarrassment.

I glare. Yet, there was no point in denying it-as much as a dog the comment made me sound.

A small chuckle came from him, his eyes flickering to me in the rearview mirror once more – before turning on the blinker to cross over to the gas station.

As soon as he pulled up, Sam hoped out – breathing a quick excuse before running out the door.

Greaat.

I tapped the pads of my fingers against one another, silently looking out the window and towards the doors that my best friend escaped into.

"My name is Dylan, by that way." He turned then, looking at me with a soft smile on his lips. "I've heard quite a lot about you."

I refused to meet his gaze, as my heart thundered in my chest. "Noted," I whispered under my breath.

A few stunned seconds passed by, before a deep rumble made me jump out of an anxious haze. I snap my head up, only to see his dark hair clashing with the headrest of his seat.

What was so funny?

"Relax, Jubilee. Sam's stories are ... entertaining, to say the least." He smirks as if sharing an inside joke, leaving me in that dark about the narratives that might have painted me in different shades.

I can't help but feel a touch of vulnerability, sitting there dissected by their unknown history. Their unknown conversations.

First – I didn't even know this guy. Sam never mentioned anything about him, and yet he knows me. And suddenly... it made my chest tighten.

I didn't like this – I didn't like it at all.

"And what was that?" I raise an eyebrow, now turning my gaze to meet him in the rearview mirror. "What did she tell you? Because I have not once heard about you."