Chapter 16

"Phaedrus?" you said quietly, taking a step back. 

He disappeared against, seemingly into thin air. Only slight flickers about the room made you realize that he was, in fact, there. Watching, moving, waiting...

He scoffed. "Dearest (Y/N)... 'Phaedrus' is such a bitter name for your good old dad. What about something warmer, less formal, eh?" 

"Phaedrus suits you fine," you replied, keeping your eyes on where you could barely see his outline prancing about the place. Just a glimmer, but there nonetheless. 

"I understand, dear. I know I haven't been around much recently, my sweet daughter." You grimaced at the term. "You must understand, I had important business to attend to." 

"As did I." 

"I know." 

You whirled around and shot a beam of light at him. His body lurched from nothing and he stood straight, glowing. Spirals of shadows twirled about him, almost looking magical. 

"And what about Aiden?" you demanded. You shot a vine towards him, wrapped it around him, moved your hand against your chest. The vine pulled him across the floor towards you, growing tighter every time he struggled against it. "You were never concerned about him, not in the same way you were with me. Why?" 

"Simple. He didn't have power." 

Suddenly he was gone from the vines. They dropped to the floor at your feet. Your eyes darted about. You felt absolutely nothing. There was no emotion inside of you - not joy, not sadness; not fear, not confidence; not love, not hate. Nothing. 

You turned slowly to see him darting about the room, this time not bothering with the invisibility. The other Guardians seemed motionless, powerless against him. They said nothing, did nothing. But upon looking closer, you realized that they were arguing. Fighting with each other. Ombric's staff was being gripped tightly, North's arms were crossed, Bunny's ears were flat, Jack's snow was falling, Tooth's feathers were ruffled, Sandy's dreamsand was twirling. Even Manny was frowning at them all, but you couldn't tell whether he was immensely disappointed or also involved in their argument. 

"Your friends have been acting strange recently, have they not, (Y/N)?" 

You drew your gaze from where they all stood, making no effort to help anything. "I... I guess so." 

"Good." He smirked. "It was working." 

"W-What was?" 

"My plan." 

"Your plan?"

"Yes, dear, my plan!" He cocked his head and laughed manically. "You're not the only one here with a brain." 

You glared at your friends again. "It seems I might be." 

But where was Pitch? He was nowhere to be seen. At least he wasn't arguing... But recently, he had been the most comforting out of all of them. He understood, and he was accepting. Maybe there was something good that came from being a villain such as he. 

A hand brushed your back. You spun and pushed light towards Phaedrus, who was somehow managing to avoid all of your attacks. He smirked and dashed about a few times. You tried to summon enough light to attack him, but you noticed the light was growing dimmer and the shadow streaks were thicker. 

"Why are you here?" you demanded. 

He appeared suddenly next to you and touched your cheek. You deflected his touch by sending a beam of light at him, then took a few steps back. 

"I came for you, dear." 

"I'd never go with you." 

"What if you didn't have a choice?" 

"I'm stronger than you, Phaedrus. I'll always allow myself the freedom of choice." 

He smiled. "I know, (Y/N). But will you always want to?" 

With his hand, he gestured to you. You looked down and couldn't contain the gasp that espied your lips. The darkness had spread. It was beyond your hands now; it fell down your chest and legs. It had dulled the color or your dress and hair. You glanced at a window to catch your reflection - ashen skin with a hint of grey across your whole face. 

"What did you do to me?" you questioned. You felt oddly calm - numb. 

He was stepping towards you, his hands spread to the sides. His steps were slow, his strides lengthened, as that of a cat stalking its prey. "You're not asking the right questions, dear. What did they do to you? What did you do... To yourself?" 

And then, completely and totally, he was gone.

In his place stood Pitch.