Chapter 23

coming up fast on chapter 25, which is how many chapters the previous story had. low-key tempted to write a third book and explore more of the family ties between everyone, veering away from the canon facts and developing the characters a bit more. but i'll most likely just start a completely new Bunnymund fanfic lol

"Now, don't get distracted, my dear..." Phaedrus purred, following you towards the Warren. "Get straight to the point, don't bore me with the details, okay? Really, dear, the longer you take, the more you'll regret it." 

You tried not to let yourself be affected by his words. You didn't want to think about what was coming - not what you would do, not what Bunny would do. "Whatever." 

He smiled and touched your cheek. You yanked your face away and glared at him. 

"Just remember," Phaedrus sang, even giggled, "I have your brother." 

You growled to yourself as he disappeared. You'd been walking for a while now, refusing to fly or teleport when Phaedrus was there. Now, you formed a pillar, this one of complete darkness. Just ignore it, (Y/N), you thought. You were still exhausted from earlier, and felt your feet dragging as you stepped into the pillar and began speeding away from the place. But Phaedrus had insisted on that night, and you wouldn't disappoint him - not when Aiden's life was at stake. You knew you wouldn't have the energy to help him if he obtained even a fraction of the injuries Pitch had. 

He was lying in the middle of the Warren, sprawled out in the grass. You were somewhat surprised to find him in his Pooka form, as you'd almost grown accustomed to his human self. You stumbled out of the pillar and struggled to keep your balance. 

"Bunny?" you said quietly.

He shifted slightly. "(Y/N)...?"

"Um... H-Hey."

He sat up. "What're you doing here, little mate?"

"I came to... Well, apologize." You knelt next to him, and the steady ground beneath your knees was practically bliss. "I never meant to hurt you."

He looked away. "You deserve more than a Pooka, anyway."

"Bunny." You put your hands on his cheeks, feeling the soft skin beneath your fingers. "I could never want anything more than a Pooka. Specifically, you, a Pooka."

"But - "

"That was Aiden," you said quietly, smiling. "That was my brother."

He stared at you for a moment, and then a surprising thing happened: he started to cry. You had no idea what to do. He doubled over and pulled his legs against his chest, sobbing. Bawling. His back heaved up and down with each sob, and you didn't know what to do. What could you do? You'd never seen him cry before, never thought he would.

"Bunny... Bunny, what's wrong?"

He shook his head and kept crying, almost wailing.

"I'm sorry," you pleaded. "I'm sorry, Bunny. I didn't know, I... I didn't know. I'm sorry! Bunny, please..." 

You took his hands and pulled him against you, thinking that it was the only thing you could do. He leaned into you and continued to cry. Why? It scared you, seeing your stronghold break for no reason. 

"I... F-Feel... Too... Much..." he breathed through sobs. 

"What do you mean?" You ran your fingers through his hair in an attempt to ease the overwhelming flow of emotions coming from him. 

"(Y/N), why do I feel things like this?" he asked, his voice pleading. 

"I don't know," you replied. "I don't even know what you're feeling."