Chapter 32

"The feathers..." Phaedrus whispered, and the words surrounded you. "I want them." 

So he hadn't heard your conversation with Cupid. If he had, he surely would have commented on it. Was that all he was here for? Your feathers? Not a chance... Those were too easy for him to obtain. 

"Okay, Phaedrus... You've trapped me. Do what you want with me." 

"You think you're trapped..." he mused quietly. 

"Stop being a coward," you demanded. "Just show yourself." 

And show himself he did. When he stepped into the relative illumination that filtered into the room through the grey-tinted candles, you did a double take. You couldn't even be sure he was the same person.

His cape was black and dragged at least three feet behind him. It wrapped around his neck in a feather collar, reaching up to the middle of his head. He wore a flowing grey shirt with tight black pants, and his silhouette looked a lot more like a lanky ghost than a man. His black boots reached past his knees, lined with metal and feathers. His skin had gone completely grey, but his face remained the same. His hair was slicked back and up, similar to how Pitch's used to be. But the most haunting part of him was how the shadows twirled about him lazily, and made whispering noises when they moved. one of my favorite parts about villains are costume aesthetics lololol

"What do you think?" 

Your heart was beating so fast that your breathing had gotten heavier. This was Phaedrus, obviously, but suddenly he was everything you feared in a villain. In him you saw reflected all your nightmares, all your failures. You couldn't even think straight. 

He really was the Guardian of Discord...

You turned and hurried up a flight of stairs. There had to be a way out of this place... But there were no exits (or entrances, for that matter) to be seen. The stairs came to a stop at a semi-circular landing, with railing around the sides. Almost like a display. 

"Not so brave now, are you, Mother Nature?" You spun around, and he was behind you. He stepped closer and leaned over you, grinning wildly. 

You tried to form a pillar, but you couldn't. You gasped and pressed yourself against the railing. It felt like there was a dagger wedged in your throat; ice crept into your chest and sent icicles down your arms. 

"You can't escape like that, (Y/N)." He smiled and leaned in. "Now you have no one to believe in you... Except for me." 

"We'll always believe in her." 

Your heart soared. "Bunny!" 

"Aye, little mate." 

Phaedrus grabbed your shoulder and shoved you harder against the staircase. "Give me the feathers!" 

There was a group "(Y/N)!" down below, but you hardly heard it. Your wings shot out from behind you as you slumped to the ground. It was more than a shove - somehow he had extracted strength from you. 

Phaedrus's eyes were blazing, wild with greed. He wrapped his long fingers around the primary feathers. 

"Wait - !" 

He pulled violently, and a great many of the feathers fluttered from your wings. You screamed out as thousands of hornets stunk up your wings and through your back. It felt like they were inside of you, attacking every inch that didn't feel pain until it did. 

He ripped more out, and more out. You didn't have the strength to push your wings back in, and each time a feather came out it was another scream and another weakening and another bullet through your body. You tried to focus on something other than the pain, but it invaded all your thoughts and pushed you deep and deep into your own torture chamber. Somehow Phaedrus was blocking the Guardians, somehow Phaedrus was suddenly able to inflict damage upon you. But you had no idea when this had happened, and you didn't have the strength to find out now. 

"Stop hurting her!" you vaguely heard Bunny scream down below. 

Phaedrus whipped the feathers into a shadow-ridden tornado and twirled it down his cape. 

You looked down at the huddled Guardians to see shadows floating around them, whispering and brushing against them. 

Get up, Phaedrus growled in your mind. 

You stumbled to your feet and leaned against the railing. Phaedrus grabbed one of your partially-outstretched wings and yanked it. There was a loud snap, and you shrieked in pain as all pride dissipated. You felt shattered, as if everything in you broke with that action. 

Move.

Your feet dragged down the steps, Phaedrus walking behind you. He was chuckling softly, making him sound like a lunatic, and his proximity to you sent shivers down your spine. But you wouldn't move, wouldn't even flinch. Below, the other Guardians stood with wide eyes, motionless as shadows flitted about the group.

"How lovely to see you all," Phaedrus purred. "Glad you could join our party."

You felt oddly calm, even though your wings were ripped to pieces and you were scared to death. His grotesque hand fell upon your shoulder. You swallowed back the indignation that was rising in you and forced yourself to feel nothing. He would only feed from your emotions.

"Let her go," North demanded, taking a step forward.

"Why would I listen to you?" Phaedrus asked in reply. "You're not her father."

He's more of one than you are, you thought, closing your eyes for a moment.

North's eyes were on yours when you opened them. His jaw clenched visibly, and you took a deep breath. Phaedrus's touch was starting to weaken you. 

Oh, my dear daughter... Phaedrus murmured into your head. I'm almost sad about what happens next.