Chapter 25

Getting banished to the satellite office in San Francisco had its benefits. If Heath was going to win his reputation back, he was going to need to find Luna. And the best place to start looking for her was in her home city.

After all, he wasn't going to give up without a fight. Sure, his client had skipped bail. He'd lost the battle, but the war was just beginning. He'd been thrown back to the bottom of the pecking order. But if there was one thing Heath loved best, it was a good redemption story.

"You're late, Heath," said Antonia. "The client's been waiting for ten minutes."

Heath's problem was finding time to look for her. Bower, Bower, and Nathanson were throwing at him every little startup they handled. It was like a revolving door of douchebags. And people thought lawyers were bad.

"I'll be right there," said Heath.

"You know, I'm under orders to keep a close eye on you. I know you're used to big-time cases over in New York. Maybe you're just not cut out for this corporate stuff."

"No, no, corporate law is great. I was just getting a coffee."

Heath hated corporate law. He loved courtrooms with lawyers and judges and juries. He loved telling stories. Overcoming adversity. Finding redemption. Quests. He loved it all. Manipulating people into believing whatever he wanted them to think. Filling out cookie-cutter legal form templates made him want to shoot himself in the head.

But it was the price he had to pay for being too cocky. Why hadn't he put a tail on Luna? Hell, he should have tailed her himself. It wouldn't have been such a painful chore. She was easy on the eyes.

Heath took a deep breath. Then he walked into the office, where two twenty-something hipsters were waiting for him.

"Hi, I'm Heath Lemming."

"Hi, David Alexander."

"Hey, I'm Andrew Smith."

"Happy to meet you. How can I help you today?"

"We want to incorporate our new startup."