Determination Theorem

Everyone in the castle was talking about the flying squid for days.

James was quite proud of himself, having managed to only receive a week's detention and a reprimanding from Dumbledore, who had gone on for some time about how old and rare that squid was. "Although your cheek is quite healthy, I must ask you to please refrain from talking back to teachers... and most especially the headmaster, if you please."

"All in all, that's not bad," Sirius said, at dinner in the Great Hall that night "A week's detention for flying a squid!"

"An unlicensed squid no less," James snickered.

"And that sassy response - turns out I'm quite good at aviation - bloody hell! I thought Dumbledore would transfigure himself into a dragon just to burn you to a crisp with his fire breath! He was so tossed!" Sirius snickered.

"And seeing as the collateral was a date with Evans, I'll have plenty to think about during my detentions," James announced loud enough for her to hear him down the table.

"You levitated it," she snipped, "You did not make it fly."

"A technicality, Evans," James announced, "You owe me a date and you know it."

"I do not, Potter," she replied huffily, turning away.

"Oi now," James called, "Don't you go backing down just because I managed to do something you thought was quite impossible. That's not proper sportsmanship, Evans. The proper thing to do is to agree to go on a date with me. You know, the Yule Ball's coming up and I'm still unassigned..."

Sirius grinned, "Yeah, Lily, if you don't go with him he'll have to go... stag." Sirius, James, and Peter cracked up, hooting with laughter.

Lily made a face, not sure what exactly they all thought as sooo hilarious.

"You sort of do owe him a date, you know, Lily," whispered Ali Prewitt, who was sitting beside her, playing a bit of footsy with Frank Longbottom beneath the table.

Lily flushed. "Who's side are you on?"

Ali shrugged, "You told him when squids fly and really the squid flew."

"Levitated," Lily persisted.

Ali said, "I think it's romantic he did something so courageous."

"How is levitating a helpless animal courageous? It's horrible. That squid was probably scared to death, the poor thing!" Lily shook her head.

Frank Longbottom said, "It was still pretty fantastic, you have to admit... I imagine not just anyone could go down there and levitate the giant squid like that... Kingsley Shacklebolt's been talking about it in classes... says it's a good example of the determination theorem."

"The what?" asked Ali.

"Determination theorem," said Frank, "It's a theory made up by some blighter from the 1500s that any bit of magic can be made more powerful by the determination of the witch or wizard casting it, regardless of the skillset of the caster. Meaning a particularly determined first year could potentially let off a powerful protego that would rival Dumbledore's if they were determined enough. A good example might be a mum protecting their child. They could potentially set a spell more powerful than the greatest wizard alive, based purely on the level of determination to protect the wee one. He said it ties in a good lot with love and all that more complicated, higher-magic stuff. We're learning about it in Defense."