The Yule Ball

The Yule Ball

James tugged on his dress robes, doing up the black bow tie at his neck. He stared into the little mirror. His hair was neat - neater than it had probably ever been. He'd finally broken down and used the Sleekeazy on it at Sirius's insistence that he should look really good for the Yule Ball. "I look utterly stupid," James murmured, and he reached to loosen the bowtie a bit, turning to look at the others.

Sirius was laying across his bed, sticking muggle safety pins through the holes at the knee of his jeans, holding several more in his teeth as he worked at it, his white t-shirt tight around his arms, leather jacket laying in wait at the foot of his bed. His hair was already in place, a thick mane. Meanwhile Peter had already finished getting ready, his white tie obscuring most of his thick neck so that it looked like his chin went right into his chest. He had a suit coat on. He'd never ended up with a date - nor had Sirius. Remus was the only one not getting ready as, true to his word, he'd decided not to go to the Ball at all.

"Moony, you really should come," Sirius said for about the hundredth time. "You can stand with me and mock Potter for his abysmal flailing that he's going to refer to as dancing. It'll be a brilliant laugh."

Remus shook his head, "No... I don't think I'd be much good at a dance. I've two left feet, see."

"I said you could stand with me, blimey, I'm not asking you to dance."

"It's alright, you lot go and have fun. I'll stay here and enjoy the peace of the common room. It's going to be empty, probably, all the youngsters in bed and you lot all off to the Ball and all... I rather fancy the idea of sitting by the fire and reading over standing about and being social with all those kids I don't know and having to explain why I'm not there with anyone and you know the Slytherins would have a good time with us going there together, too..."

"I'll mess'em up if they say a thing about it," Sirius replied.

"All the more reason not to go," Remus laughed. "Seriously, you lot go and have fun. Don't worry about me. I'm fine."

Sirius eyed Remus warily. He didn't like the idea of leaving Remus alone; he was doing better, but still not 100% back to the old Remus, and his eyes were still as green as could be. Sirius sighed.

James ran his hand through his hair, messing up the Sleekeazy's work and tossing it about a few times, swinging his head up and down 'til it looked windblown, as though he'd just stepped off the Quidditch pitch, and stared into the mirror a moment, adjusting his glasses, which had gone all askew in the violent shaking of his head. "Much better."

"Merlin's beard you're ridiculous, you looked grand before," Sirius announced.

James said, "Thanks but no." He turned about, "Are you lot ready?"

"Been waiting on you two," Peter replied.

Sirius slid the last of the safety pins through the jeans and stood up, grabbing his leather jacket and swinging it about his shoulders, popping the collar.

"McGonagall's going to have a fit when she sees you dressed like that," Peter said.

Sirius shrugged.

"Alright Moony," said James, "Last chance."

"I'm good, thanks Prongs. Have fun you lot." He waved.

Sirius stared back at him as they left the room.

Downstairs, it was an absolute frenzy. The boys were all clustered about the portrait hole in their dress robes, poking at each other's neckties, straightening them out and muttering nervously. Peter, Sirius, and James went over to stand by Frank Longbottom, waiting for the girls to come downstairs. "This is the best part," Frank whispered, "When you see them all gussied up for the first time. I swear. Wait 'til you see your Annalee, James, it'll take your breath away." He winked and nudged James with a grin.