Prologue

Spark

   The only thing on my mind is freedom from this prison.  Long ago, I took on the Female Titan known as Annie Leonheart in my own Titan form.  Unfortunately, she managed to trap us both in prisons of our own; but I was lucky enough to leave myself some leverage so that I could counter her diamond with my abilities.  It's been a while since anyone has visited me, so I've had the time and privacy to chip away at the crystal.

   I've heard of a new 'special' recruit that's joined the Survey Corps ranks– but I still don't know about her condition, since she doesn't ever come down here.  Occasionally, new cadets come down just to get a glimpse of me once before they eventually forget about this place and its holder, which is how I got the news.  Apparently this newbie was found outside the walls, and aided the Survey Corps members in killing many Titans. Now that she's residing in the walls with Armin and the rest of the Corps, I feel like I can rest easy. Whoever she is, I'm sure she's ample help to Armin and his friends.  By now, I suspect things have definitely settled back into a routine, and I've made up my mind.

   I'm going home.

~~~~

   After finally escaping from the diamond, I decide to check up on my three old friends.  I have noticed that Levi and Erwin are now in different parts of the castle, and made up my mind to visit their old quarters to see if anyone is there now. Once I make it to Erwin's old (newly renovated) office, I am surprised to see a different man sitting in the chair. Peering in through the window, I study the man's features.

Since he is sitting down, I can't tell how tall he is, but I can see that he has a lean build. This man is wearing a plain white shirt and brown pants, and is leaning his head on his arms. His hair is a bright blond that falls to just below his Adam's apple, and the ends of it curl inward slightly– framing his face in a feminine fashion. His back is to me, so I can't see his face, but I realize another familiar figure is standing off to one side, leaning against the wall.

"Eren..." His hair has grown longer, but is still kept in a shaggy unkempt style. His eyes are still a vivid blue-green hue, and he is wearing an outfit similar to the other man's as he stares at him. As the first straightens, I realize I do recognize him as well, despite the fact that I couldn't see his face before. "Armin..." I smile as nostalgia fills me. I wonder if I look any different?

Smiling in satisfaction as I watch the two grown men relax in the office, I decide that my work here is done. Jumping to the ground, I dart to the edge of the forest lining the castle encampment. Something within me calls for me to pause and glance back over my shoulder, and I selfishly follow my instinct. Armin is now standing at the window– his features clear as day to me even as the light from the office casts the front of his figure in darkness. With one final bow of my head, I take off into the woods, fully intending to head out beyond the walls.

Interestingly enough, my plans are altered once I meet her.

~~~~

Rachel

   I miss it so much.

   My wings are a constant reminder of the fact that I can't fly anymore, but I can't bring myself to go through a procedure to get them removed. Not being able to soar though the skies, high out of view, is torture for a winged creature. For humans, it's as if you live with the loss of a limb after growing used to having the appendage your whole life. The sudden loss is hard and painful, and for me, my wings are a part of my culture; a part of who I am.
Besides, maybe I'll be able to use them one day...

No, that's impossible.

I sigh and shake myself out of my negative thoughts, standing up from my previous position on my bed. I am now eighteen years old, the same age as Eren, Armin, and Mikasa. Hanji is as spritely as ever (but that is a given), and Levi and Erwin are now retired– though they do still live in the castle, and are logisticians and valuable assists to the Corps. Levi still goes on certain missions, but Erwin basically stays at base and operates from here.

The new recruits are always fascinated by my wings, which are still a pitch black in color. I've noticed for a few months now that I can move them more easily. I can't help but feel like I'll be able to fly again one day– but until then, I'll have to rely on the 3DMG. Even after years of practice and experience with the machinery, the feeling of flying without the use of my wings is so foreign. Glancing back over my shoulder, I smile lightly as I catch sight of the appendages. I hastily throw on a plain white shirt along with some black pants, and silently sneak out into the forest.

The moon is full tonight, and its glow lights up the clearing I'm in as I spread my wings to their full extent. At least I can do this much without strain anymore. My sleek feathers glisten in the half-light, and I close my eyes as memories of soaring through moonlit nights override my senses.  In the back of my mind, I know I need to stop moping and enjoy these precious moments of my life... moments when no one else is around, and I can just think about me.

   But unfortunately, that isn't the case.

   A twig snapping brings me out of my memories, and I whirl around only to spot a girl a few years younger than me.  She has long, black hair that falls in her eyes, and she is in a crouching position as she freezes in place.  I tilt my head as I turn to face her, curling my wings inward until they are only half-spread now.  The stance is defensive in nature, and I make sure to show my weariness to the stranger.

   "Who are you?"  She straightens at my question, and I instinctively tense up at the action. Better to be prepared for a fight if necessary.

   "... My name is Spark.  And who are you?"  I glance at her up and down, and finally say,

   "Rachel. What are you doing out here?"  The girl seems to debate with herself for a second before asking,

   "Are you... the 'special recruit' I've heard about?"  I chuckle lightly, fluttering my wings as I reply,

   "Yes, indeed I am.  But you haven't answered my question: what are you doing here?"  She shakes her head and strides up to my side, sitting down bravely.  I remain still, ready to flee if necessary. But, strangely, my senses don't alert me to anything weird with this girl– if anything, I feel more at ease in her presence. I cock my head as I sit beside her, my wings stretching out to rest on the ground behind me.

   "Around here, I'm known as Spark.  To everyone else, I am referred to as the Guardian.  I'm going to tell you my tale, and why don't you tell me yours in exchange?"

I smile.

"Sounds like a deal."