Irrational

Rachel's P.O.V

"You aren't sending a search party out for Spark?!"

I was seeing red. The rage coursing through my system gave me an adrenaline boost, and I clenched and unclenched my fists sporadically, feeling my wings flutter angrily in response to my emotions.

Connie, Sasha, and I had just arrived back at the Survey Corps' headquarters. We had eaten a proper meal before being forced into the showers by Hanji, who had been happy to see us alive and well. Though her concern touched my heart, I showered quickly and ate mechanically, my mind focusing on the absence of Spark. We had been summoned to Armin's quarters, where Connie and Sasha had shared their story before Armin had asked for mine.

After hearing about Spark, Armin and Eren had shared a hesitant glance before denying me the permission to take a few soldiers beyond the walls for a search. Why would they do this?!

"Please, hear us out, Rachel–"

"Spark has been missing for a few days now!" I said, speaking through gritted teeth. "Who knows what the unknown Shifter has done to her!"

"Calm down." Eren attempted, but my vision remained tinted with red. I glared at him.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" I cried, knowing I was pushing my limits by challenging them. "Spark is our greatest asset right now, and both of you know that. Without her, the use of my wings will only bring us so far, and Eren doesn't have as efficient control over his abilities as Spark does!" I could see how the sting of my words affected Eren, but remained firm.

"I understand, Rachel." Armin whispered, his words not soothing to me in the least. "But right now, we have the Titans hidden within the walls to worry about. The Pastor has shared nothing with us thus far– only that if the sun hits them, humanity itself is doomed."

I stopped to think about that for a moment. Wall Maria was still lost to the human race, and the only reason the hidden Titans had been discovered was due to Annie. The Corps hadn't explored the possibility of Titans in Wall Sina yet– but had focused their efforts on learning as much as they could about the more immediate Titan threats. I felt my gaze harden as I turned and strode toward the door, setting my hand on the handle as I stilled, thinking about my decision. I turned my cold, green eyes on Armin, who returned my gaze with shock in his own orbs.

   "Then, focus your efforts here.  On the Titans within the walls.  I will search for Spark on my own."  I gave no one time respond, merely shutting the door harshly behind me.  The sky was beginning to darken beyond the tall windows, and I shook my head as I made my way to my room, prepared to pack my belongings before my journey.

   I am doing this, with or without Armin's consent.

~~~~

   "Rachel!"  I turned and spotted Sasha racing toward me, and I furrowed my brows in confusion as I spotted the pack thrown over her shoulder.  Jean was by her side, and I sent both of them a small smile as they finally skidded to a stop in front of me.

   "Hello Jean, Sasha.  I take it you came to wish me farewell?"  A slight tension filled the air, and I tilted my head at the firm glance the two soldiers shared.

   "Actually," Jean stated boldly, "we're coming with you."  My eyes widened, and I glanced between them in surprise.

   "What?  Armin didn't grant me permission to discuss this with others."  I raised an eyebrow when neither of them responded for a minute, before Sasha finally straightened and fixed me with a determined look.

   "We want to come."  Sasha stated, tightening her grip on the sack.  "Spark is our friend too; and there are a lot of people here who can deal with the Titans if anything happens."

   I smiled at the redhead, and nodded.

   "Well, accompany me to the stables then.  I was just on my way to saddle my horse."  Sasha smiled while Jean nodded, and the two followed me to get their horses ready.  I lead the black horse I would be riding out of the stables after it was fully equipped, followed by both Jean and Sasha with their bays.  We mounted the animals, and with one last look at the stone castle behind me, I urged my horse into a gallop, heading towards the gate that lead to the plains beyond the wall.

   For a moment, I thought I could see Armin's worried face staring down at me before I turned away from the window that viewed his office.

~~~

   "We should rest here for the night."

   I glanced over at Jean, who had spoken up whilst looking at the nearly-set sun.  We had ridden for a few hours, and though my heart yearned to find Spark, I knew we needed to be at full strength to face whatever had taken her.  So I nodded, urging my horse to follow Jean's as we rode into an abandoned outpost.  We were quiet as we set up a place to sleep– and the silence stretched on until we all lay in our respective cots in a little house off the main road.

   "Thank you."  The whisper slipped past my lips unconsciously, though I didn't regret saying it one bit.

   "Don't worry about it."  Jean huffed, though I could hear the smile in his voice.  "It was our choice to come along– whatever happens, we'll go through it together."

   "Yeah," Sasha piped up, turning her head until she looked over at me.  "Who knows?  Maybe we'll even find the Shifter's food stash as a bonus."  I laughed at her enthusiasm for food, shaking my head fondly.

   "Get to sleep."  I said softly, letting my wings curl around my body in a warm cocoon.  "We have a long day ahead of us."