Walo

K a r o l i i n a

"Clean this place up," Eric said before dragging me towards the dirtiest place I have ever seen. "If I see even the tiniest speck of dirt, I'll shoot you."

In a way, his words seemed empty to me. Considering the amount of times he threatened to shoot me but never really did, I guess it numbs that fear a little.

But then again, we were talking about Eric. Eric was unpredictable.

I watched as he walked away, the muscles in his back rippling like waves as he did so. When he closed the metal door with a loud bang, I turned my attention back to the messy sight in front of me.

Papers were everywhere. Shards of glass was carelessly swept up on one corner, whilst wrappers of food and other garbage were stacked in the centre of the room.

It was truly nauseating.

I sighed, leaning against the wall with an expression of defeat. I wanted to curse at myself for being so idiotic. Why did I punch-- albeit unsuccessfully--Eric?

Squeak

I yelped, jumping off my spot. I looked around for the source of noise as my hands held the closest thing next to me, which was a broken stick.  

Squeak

I wanted to run away--what was making noise? I was locked inside this dimly lighted room full of nasty objects. I should  be scared.  

Squeak

A rat came flying out of nowhere and started approaching me. It's teeth were unusually big and its eyes were black and beady. The look on my face surely showed how afraid I am at the moment.

"Eric!" I cried, shoving the stick in front of me like a sword.

Small tears were now streaming down my cheeks. Oh god, I was a true wuss. But you can't blame me, the rat was inching closer and closer, its sight focused on my... eyes?

I cried even more, climbing atop a rickety chair on the side. The old thing creaked with my weight on it, but I held on for dear life. The rat squeaked again, and I was sure it was a call for his fellow rats.

Because more of them started appearing.

Fifteen--that was all I could count with the room's low lighting--rats were now walking towards me, teeth bared. I was close to passing out. Rats were, and will always be, one of my greatest fears.

They gnawed and chewed everything.

"Eric!" I shouted again, and despite the harboured dislike I have for him, I didn't mind pleading for him to come back, "Eric, help!"

The door shot open, revealing a stern faced Eric. The leader was holding a gun, the same gun he brought during my Aptitude Test. He looked around, and when he noticed my tear-streaked cheeks, he narrowed his eyes.

"What the hell is going on?" He asked, walking towards me.

"R-Rats," I stuttered, pointing at the floor.

Eric didn't even blink when he stalked towards the chair I was standing on. Without looking, he shot one rat when it tried to sink its teeth into his boots. He did the action two more times, then nineteen. Loud bangs were heard when he shot the rats around us with a look of no remorse.

When he finished, I scampered over to him and did something no sane human would ever do.

I embraced him.

I pressed my head against his chest, hugging his waist with all my might. I was crying, but I didn't care. Call me oversensitive, I could care less.

I was almost mulled over by rats.

Even when Eric spoke, I didn't let go of him, instead I tightened my hold even more.

"You shouted bloody murder," His voice was dangerously calm, "Just because of rats?"

More punishment for me.