Dalawamput-dalawa

For pannapaulina, the best commenter/reader out there.

K a r o l i i n a

"Stage Three is exactly like Stage Two," Quentin squints his eyes as he looks up from the book he was reading, Hamlet, "Just a bit more difficult."

At what he said, my mind races. Experiencing fears again? Maybe this'll be where I go down. Maybe this'll be the end for me.

"Don't spill classified information, Q." Eric interrupts, uncrossing his arms and walking over to us, "You know that's against the rules."

Quentin snorts, "Like Dauntless gives a duck about the rules. You don't even care about them, Eric."

Eric smiles because Quentin is right, and a funny feeling emerges from my chest. He looks nice when he smiles.

"Welcome to Stage Three of Initiation," Four announces, and what's left of the initiates clap their hands. Ten Dauntless-borns, five transfers. I try not to think who'll be out by the time the leaders finish ranking us.

"You'll be facing your fears once again, but now you'll have to perform with the Dauntless leaders watching." Eric says, his eyes cold as they sweep over us.

My heart thuds in my chest. I thought only Eric and Four would witness the fears. Who put the leaders in the equation?

"Exciting, yeah?" Eric smirks, and his action sends a shiver down my spine, "You little fuckers better do your best. This might be the end for five of you."

And I hold my breath as they start calling out names. Eric's words ring in my head.

This might be the end for five of you.

I can only hope that I won't be one of them.

There is clapping all around me as I wake from the simulation. I know that my eyes are red yet again, and that my face probably looked like a fucking mess, but I didn't care. I was done. I won't ever experience this simulation again.

"You did good," Four is the one who approaches me, and I don't look into his eyes as he helps me get off the chair, "Three minutes and thirteen seconds with four fears. This is practically unheard of."

My heart lodges in my throat. Practically unheard of? 

My eyes scan the room and watch as the leaders' faces look at me in awe and surprise. I connect eyes with Eric, and he's standing a little farther from the others, but he has a small smile on his face, one that I can barely see.

I hear Four snort, "Eric's looking quite happy. That bastard."

I whip my head at him, my face showing how puzzled I am at his statement. Four sighs and ushers me out of the room, whispering, "We made a bet. He voted for less than five minutes, I voted over." 

I send him a sarcastic smile, showing how I appreciated his trust in my skills, but he shrugs me off and trudges back to the room.

When he leaves, I let a smile overtake my face. I think I'll be in the top ten.

1. Tris

2. Uriah

3. Peter

4. Marlene

5. Lyn

6. Carolina

7. Will

8. Christina

9. Pauline

10. Drew

My mouth forms the biggest smile I've ever did, and my hands grip my shirt in joy. I make a swift jump of happiness, seeing my name in the sixth slot.

Never mind that they spelt it wrong, I got in the top ten!

The rest of the initiates are also whooping and hollering gleefully, celebrating their success. I see Beatrice and Christina jump together, smiles in their faces. I see Peter and his friend, Drew, running to the Pit, probably to celebrate with liquor.

We are officially Dauntless members.

When the energy dies down and the others start dispersing away, I slip away from the room, heading up to my favourite place, the roof.

When I reach my desired place, I go to the farthest ledge and with my loudest voice, I squeal. And squeal. And squeal. Then I laughed. I laughed so loudly that I am almost sure that my voice can be heard from inside.

Raising my hands up in the air, I start twirling around in a silly dance, "I got top ten! I got top ten!"

I repeat the chant as if I've won the lottery, and I practically did. I'm officially Dauntless!

I squealed again, the hype not leaving me yet. A girl from Abnegation got in Dauntless! I mean, I didn't do good as Beatrice, but at least I passed Dauntless initiation!

"What the fuck are you doing?"

I shriek in surprise, stumbling over and falling to my bum at the sudden interruption. I bite my lip in pain, feeling the soreness creep into my backside.

"Do Abnegation celebrate like this? Act like a fucking squirrel and leap around?"

I blush, bowing my head in embarrassment. Oh no, he saw everything.  

Eric thrusts his hand into my face, and I hesitantly take it. He pulls me up, steadying me when I slip again. Our eyes connect, and I see that bright blue colour in them again. His eyes are the most tantalising I've ever seen.

"Congratulations," His voice gets deep as he says that, and I think I am imagining it, but he pulls me closer so that my body is fully pressed against his, "Although I hoped that you would've gotten a higher rank."

I blush, avoiding his eyes as I whisper, "Thank you. And sixth is enough, I expected the tenth."

"Tenth?" He echoes, and my legs feel like jelly as his rough voice travels to my ears, "You did great. You deserve higher."

I do not respond as he finishes his sentence. How could I? Eric, and I mean the Eric, just complimented me.

I think.

"C-Can you let go?" I say after a few minutes of being in his hold. It feels weird, to be honest. To be caged in his muscular arms and feel the heat of his body.

Eric lets go of me, but his hand encloses around mine. I freeze, looking up at him in surprise. He avoids my eyes as he says, "The leaders are calling the initiates for them to pick their jobs."

I nod my head, tugging on Eric's hand so he'll let go of me. But, he does the exact opposite. His grip tightens and he leads me back inside the building. As we walk down the steps, my heart beats in a frenzy.

His hands are still enclosed around mine.

I've changed the title. I just felt like it matches the story more. It means 'to rain' in French. Hope you enjoyed this, though.