Tatlumput-anim

E r i c

I take a backwards glance as the train moves ahead, farther from us and back into safety. I've been breathing fast, heart erratic and pulsing as if I am running a marathon.

"Hey," Lee says softly, and I turn my attention to her, "Are you alright?"

I clear my throat. "Yeah."

We continue walking deeper into the forest-like area, the sun's rays barely lighting up our way. We have to stay off the path, all of us here know that. I grip Lee's hand instinctively as I push forward, gently pulling her with me. 

"Trade places with Landon," I whisper to her.

She sighs and gives me a pointed look, "We've talked about this, Eric."

"It's safer if you're with me." I argue, furrowing my eyebrows.  

"You've formed the final groups with the rest of leadership already," She brings her hand up to my cheek, giving it a few gentle taps, "I'll be fine."

"But we'll be in separate groups," I grumble, just to see if she would grab my bait of persuasion.

"You're looking cute and all..." She trails off, giving me a smirk I am blessed to see, "But, no. It won't work on me, love."

And she winks, backs away, and runs towards Jeno's new topic of interest.

"But I'm your boyfriend!"

She only laughs, and that puts a smile on my face. I'll be damned if I let that girl get hurt in the battle.

~

When we reviewed the Factionless' territory, we had a difficult time. There were alleys and paths and lanes everywhere. The more we planned, the more it became complicated. We didn't know how they'd attack us, whether or not they'd be waiting for us in every fucking route there possibly was. 

We've decided on groups. It is tough to be separated, we have to be in even smaller numbers than we were in the start. It's not a great tactic, but it's the best we could think of. It's faster to remove the pest in our part.

The only thing is, Lee is not in my group.

I had flipped my shit as soon as I learned of it, but I couldn't do anything. I wasn't the over-all chief in this damned battle. I had to suck it up and accept it.

Before we split up, I grab Lee by her arm. I put my lips near her ear and whispered, "We'll meet by that tree," I nod to the huge oak tree we just passed, and when I turn back to her, my expression is serious, "If I don't find you there, I'll lose my shit, Lee. Okay?"

She smiles, but suddenly it looks sad to me, "I love you, Eric. I'll do my best to not let you lose anything."

She hugs me tight, and I whisper back, "I love you, too." 

As she lets go and jogs off to her own group, I try to calm my fast pulse. Return to me safely, Lee. 

~

Dead bodies. All around us. 

My own vest is coloured red, most of the blood not mine. I've shot countless Factionless men already, but their numbers don't seem to dwindle. 

On the other hand, it is us who is losing more people each brawl. My group has managed not to lose a member, and for that I am thankful. I don't want to lay a comrade's body down on their grave.

Bang

"Shit." I say, immediately taking cover on the countless boulders that are everywhere in the area. Sending a signal to my team, I wait until the shooting is finished before I stand, firing to the Factionless scums that are visible.

I feel bullets fire past me, and that scares me the tiniest bit. I might not meet Lee under that oak tree.

I duck down, running towards a big pillar and using it as my shield. My hand grasp my gun tightly, and I'm thankful that the Erudites programmed them the way they are, so that they don't need any reloading. As I try to survey my surroundings, a bullet lodges itself on the wall near my head. I pulled myself back just in time.

"Look who's here," A loud voice echoes throughout. I stand rigid, "Eric Coulter. Dauntless' Golden Warrior."

The voice laughs, and my hands clench into fists, "It's good to see you, buddy."

Kieran.

The bastard mocks me with a sneer in his voice, "Remember when you kicked me out, huh, you son of a bitch? I gotta thank you for that though. You gave me an entire army."

"Fuck," I curse softly. Kieran was one of the higher-ups. When I became a leader, I kicked him out because he had harassed and raped not one, but four girls. 

"I've got a present for you, my friend."

Just then, a faint shout resonates. It's Lee. She's screaming for me.  

"I tell you what, if you come out... I'll probably let her live." My eyes are wild now, and my hands are bleeding from how tight I am clenching them, "Come out, come out. If you want her to live."