Tatlumput-isa

K a r o l i i n a

Infirmary food is shit.

I don't know how anyone can manage to stay here for even a day, cooped up in a small room with dingy white walls and blinding lights. The nurses are fucking headaches, too. Especially the old lady named Mandy. She keeps bothering me every chance she gets.

"So," She had said once, "Is he any good like they say?"

I had spluttered the water I'd been drinking all over my shirt in disbelief, "What?" 

"Oh, don't act so shy, dear," She had the audacity to laugh and wink and make a thrusting motion with her hips.

My cheeks had burned in embarrassment. This lady was like, seventy years old!

It is all entertaining though. Who expected Eric to have charms that enticed even the oldest ladies? Certainly not me.

"Hey," Eric interrupts my thoughts as he ducks in the door, his hands carrying a heavy plastic, "How have you been?"

"Shit." I say coarsely.

He breathes a laugh and settles on the chair next to my bed, "You look like it too."

I send him a glare, "What's the point of having me here for a week? I only have a dislocated shoulder."

"It's good to take precautions," He says, taking out a bottle of water from the plastic and handing it to me, "You'll be discharged later this afternoon anyway."

"Thank goodness," I sigh in relief, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Sammy and the armoury."

Eric laughs again, and smile creeps on my face as he does so. He is smiling more than ever.

Clearing my throat, I willed my expression to a serious one, "Anyway, I've been meaning to ask you about the... the guy who um--you know, Jeno?"

He sighs, rubbing his eyes with his hands. "Yeah. It's about time I tell you about him."

A few seconds of silence passes before he dives into his story, "Jeno and I knew each other back in Erudite. He was the son of my neighbors. We were quite close back then. We transferred to Dauntless together and started initiation with high hopes. He wanted to become a leader, I just wanted to have a job. When I got the leadership position, he flipped his shit, cussed me out of jealousy. We ended up having a fight, and I left him that scar on his face. Can't say I'm sorry about it, he acted like a dick. Haven't seen him since then."

"Well.. um--wow." I say in surprise, "You two were close? Like best friends or something?"

He smiles sarcastically, "Yeah, like best friends."

I grin. I wish days will always be like this, having laughs amidst problems.

~

I never really believe that all good things come to an end. Now, I'm starting to change my mind.

"You're fighting with them? Why?" I say to Eric with an edged voice, "There's more than enough soldiers in Dauntless--"

"I'm one of the best, aren't I?" He cocks his head proudly, "That's why I have to join."

"Eric, it's dangerous. They will do fine without you in the field."

"I'm the only one who knows the way around Factionless. They need me on the field."

My heart swells with worry, "Eric, I--"

"Don't be worried, Lee." He smiles a genuine smile, "I'm coming back. We'll just plant a bomb in Factionless and come back. No harm done, yeah?"

My hands squeeze his in a final attempt to persuade him, "Eric, if you return with as much as a scratch on you, I'll flip."

He grins, kisses me on the forehead, and backs away with a mock salute, "Aye, aye, Captain."

Before he leaves the room, he sends me a small smile, one that makes my heart pound in fear for what's in store for Eric. He mouth those three words that helps me fight the tears from falling down my face, "I love you."

I know that he lied about the fight against Factionless. It will take much more than just planting a bomb to end them. Word has gone around the infirmary, saying that Dauntless is losing to their army. The fight has been going on for at least a week, and more Dauntless soldiers are getting killed each day. I also heard that our final resort in ending the battle is to send the leaders out on the field. I know everything. We've been playing pretend for too long. I know Eric knows that I know, but it is better to live in a lie than face the danger that's reality. 

A sob escapes my lips as I think of Eric's words. Please come back to me.

~

Fuck yeah. School is finally over :'> I'll be updating faster than usual! Just a heads up, this book is almost over :< So, expect a shit ending HAHAHAHA Thank you for reading!