Caput LXII: Bury it Forward

"But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass." ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Caput LXII: Bury it Forward

It was surprisingly easy to find the others. They weren't exactly subtle with hiding, which was something Percy was grateful for.

~...~

Sharpening a sword was surprisingly calming. Something about the repetitive motions soothed her, made her feel like she was in control, even though she knew that she wasn't in control. Not really. And that was okay, she supposed. It was okay. She just... she just didn't like not being in control.

The rock she had been using to sharpen his sword screeched loudly enough that it grated at her teeth and she cringed.

There was something watching her. She stilled. The hairs on the back of her neck had risen and there was a prickling sensation - a sixth sense in a way. She slowly raised her head and turned her head.

She would recognize those green eyes anyway.

Her sword clattered to the ground (something very stupid) and she gaped. Percy grinned, though it looked a little nervous to her, and he wriggled his fingers at her.

"Um. Hi?"

Hi? HI? Is that all he has to say after -

She found herself on her feet, propelling forward. He backpedaled, and she could see the look of blatant fear on his face. Good. Good. He should fear her. When he bumped against a tree, she boxed him in by placing her hands on his hips and tilted her head back so she could glare up at him.

"A letter, Perseus! You left a letter! And then you say not to worry! Like what in Tartarus were you thinking I wouldn't worry? Do you have any idea how scared I was? And you're not subtle at all! Seriously! You stormed Nyx's fortress on your own? What in Tartarus were you thinking? Do you have any idea how dangerous that was!"

She took a deep breath and poked him directly in the middle of his chest. Relief and fury clashed and she focused on fury because that was easier to handle for the moment.

"And everyone thought you were gathering intelligence when you had - when you had - g" She growled under her breath and swiped at her eyes. No. She was not going to cry over his stupidity. "You could have just said something. But nooo, you had to run away. You abandoned us-"

Percy's arms suddenly wrapped around her and pulled her against her chest. She gripped the front of his toga and choked back a sob.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. "I won't run away again."

Her shoulders trembled. "I'm angry with you," she grumbled. But her shoulders shook with her suppressed tears until she allowed to spill. "If you do that again, I'm going to kill you."

Something between a laugh and a sob tore from his throat, and it sounded raw and harsh to her eyes. She clung to him. "Noted."

"Why does this keep happening to us?" she wondered out loud. She moved away from him so that she was able to think a little more clearly. He watched her, hesitance etched in every part of him. "Why is it you're constantly being torn away from me and all I can do is watch?"

He shook his head minutely. "I don't know," he said softly. "At least we keep finding each other."

She found herself looking at the brown ground. Except at some point, she wouldn't be here. At some point, she would be gone. She was going to die and there was nothing she could do about that except to live. He moved forward and tilted her chin up with his pointer and middle fingers. He tilted his head to the side.