Caput V: What Should Be, Will Be

"Change is inevitable. Change is constant." –Benjamin Disraeli

Caput V: What Should Be, Will Be

PERCY was tempted to hit himself in the head with the book of battle history he was reading. Hard.

But instead, he managed to place it down, gently, on the cushion next to him and stared at his pater. His pater was watching him carefully, as if he had sensed his exasperation. Percy was determined not to give him any excuse to get angry with him... or Annabeth.

Percy hadn't realized it until after he had left his —no, their— room, but he was now responsible for her safety as well as his own. And eventually the Senate would want them to make babies...

Ergh. That was a terrifying thought. Children was something he hadn't contemplated since he was sixteen and had accidentally revealed that he was going to propose to Rachel to Rachel herself. Though it was probably terrifying to Annabeth as well. Maybe that was why she had been so shy last night, and it wasn't like he had helped ease her worries...

And he really needed to stop thinking of her. Especially if he got a dreamy look like Jason said he did, then his pater would look at him weirdly...

Percy shook his head, stopping the thoughts right there. No. He did not get a dreamy look and his pater wouldn't look at him weirdly... like he was at that moment...

Oops?

He cleared his throat and leaned back into the cushion of the window. He might as well get comfortable: the Caesar didn't look like he was about to leave anytime soon. His pater sat down, his back leaning against the wall as he stared at Percy. That only made him uneasy. His pater always knew when he was hiding something, somehow, and Percy never liked it when he forced him to tell...

Then again, he could just be a bad liar like Reyna said he was. 

Maybe his pater was  a mind reader? Then that would give Percy an excuse to (attempt) to strangle him, although then the guards would probably arrest him. After that, depending on whether or not his pater was feeling merciful, he would either banish Percy, or execute him. And then Annabeth would be in danger again...

"Are you entertaining thoughts of strangling me again, Perseus?" his slightly amused voice brought Percy back to reality. That, and his actual name. And the accusation.

He must be a mind reader...

Percy cleared his throat and shook his head. "No," he lied. "I'm not."

His pater raised an eyebrow. He didn't look convinced. "Right."

Percy almost hit himself. But not with the book this time, with his hand. His pater would probably disprove... and if one of the servants or slaves (though no one would believe the latter) happened to walk down the hall at that moment... well, it would be Percy's fault if someone said the Heir Apparent was inducing self-harm upon himself.

"What are you here for?"

His pater frowned at him, "Is that how you greet your pater, Perseus?"

"Hello. Why are you here? I was reading a book."

"What book?"

Percy narrowed his eyes at him, but held it up for him to read the title. Historia Romani Bellum Glorique.

"The History of Roman War and Glory," he read out loud, almost to himself. Percy fought down the urge to swallow the lump that suddenly rose in his throat back. Don't show weakness. Don't give him an excuse to lash out. His pater nodded slowly, his eyebrows joining together.